We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October weather

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
October weather

Hi guys,

Looking at going to one of the Islands, 11th October 2008.Is this a good time for the weather also is Plantaion Island resort ok ?

Cheers,

Bill.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October weather

Hi Bill, we found October weather perfect. We stayed one week on the Coral Coast and the weather was a bit iffy then stayed one week on an island and it was perfect. Can get pretty hot around lunch time and late afternoon so just be careful especially when snorkelling as there were plenty of red backs getting around as they'd been to busy with their head down looking at the wonderful sea life while their backs are frying lol

Haven't been to Plantation to stay only on an island hop trip that we did, looked great for children. We stayed at Castaway Island and can highly recommend it but theres also Treasure Island, Malolo resort, Mana resort and one with no children under 12 allowed Matamanoa Resort, these are all in the same island group called Mamanuca Islands and are not far by boat from Denarau.

ps, read your report on Phuket, we went last October and it poured rain nearly every day, no boat trips for us either, but I can tell you we didn't experience that type of weather in Fiji in October.

Hope this helps in some way, Rene

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October weather

We have stayed at Plantation at the end of Nov and found the weather very similar to that of your Brissie weather on a hot summer day.(We live in Hervey Bay). So I imagine that October would be pretty prefect weather wise.

We stayed in the Garden Bures while at Plantation, and due to the high ceilings and the ceiling fan, we felt comfotable enough in not needing A/C.

We haven't been to Plantation now for a couple of years. So I can't say what it is like now. But we enjoyed our last stay with the kids. It is very much a family Resort, but the Island is big enough for everyone with plenty to do and much to see.

We have also stayed at Treasure, and absolutely loved it! The snorkeling is amazing, much better than Plantation. It would be my pick of resorts. Its alot smaller and the resort takes up the whole Island. Its a bit more pricey to stay there. Look out for specials that include meals! Its well worth the stay there.

But if you are on a budget, then Plantation is a great place to stay!

Wouldn't even really consider staying on the Coral Coast. Spend the extra and get out to the Islands!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October weather

Thank you both for replies,great info.

Will look at Teasure Island instead.

It's for my wife's 50th birthday,we both love the beach so it sounds ideal.

Cheers,

Bill.

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October weather

Hi Bill

Glad I could help.

If you decide to go to Treasure, make sure you book a special dinner for two out in their Sunset Bure. It has a beautiful outlook of the ocean and you get your own special waiter.

I surprised my new husband (we got married at Treasure) with a helicopter joy flight around the islands. Was fantastic, the staff even got in on the surprise too!

You can also check out www.travelonline.com for specials to Treasure. I know they have some good ones on at the moment ie free meals...I use them for prices, but then take those prices into my TA to get a price match.

Also take note that Treasure is in the middle of buuilding their new pool and kids club. I think it is expected to finish in Sept.

You can also contact maxine at maxine@treasure.com.fj

with any questions/prices you might have or need. They generally reply pretty promptly.

Have fun in Fiji wherever you go....its an amazing place!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October weather

Another question,

Did I read somewhere thereis an Island that only allow children over a certain age ?

Cheers,

Bill.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October weather

Hi Bill, Matamanoa Resort allows no children under 12 years of age. Theres also Lomani Island Resort, on the same island as Plantation but children 15 years and under not permitted. You also have Liku Liku Lagoon Resort adults only but way more pricey then these 2.

These are in the Mamanuca island groups.

Rene

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October weather

Surprise! me again. I agree that october is one of the better months. it's starting to head in to the hoteer season but it's not too hot. The sun is straight up at noon do beware of it's intensity.

8. Re: October weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 12:25
Get answers to your questions about Sigatoka