We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying supplies on the way to Shangri La

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying supplies on the way to Shangri La

Where would you recommend buying supplies like kids snacks, alcohol etc to take to the resort prior to arriving? Nadi? Airport? sigatoka?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying supplies on the way to Shangri La

Just got back from 2 weeks at the Shangri La with my 4 & 7 year kids. We took our favourite wines from home - 6 bottles wrappped in bubble wrap in our check in luggage, no problem. We bought Spirits, mixers and water from the Duty Free at Nadi. We also took some snacks from home, lolly pops, Tim Tams, and pringles chips (they pack well because they are in a tube). The kids were eating 3 meals a day and hardly ever wanted snacks- unless they saw them so I kept them hidden. I ended up giving the 4 packets of Tim Tams to my favourite staff members as a tip and we had a huge pig out on the last night to eat the chips. Half a bag of lolly pops were left behind.

We bought some water and the occassional bottle of soft drink from the store in the resort and it was Ok. I think the 1.25 litre soft drinks were about 3.95 and they lasted the kids about 4 or 5 days per bottle so I didn't mind buying it there.

The kids are so busy they probably wont need snacks.

Sigatoka is a further 10 - 15 minutes away and they have cheaper supermarkets but the cost of the taxi there and back would probably not make it worth it if your are just going to stock up on supplies.

We travelled with 3 families and all agreed that next time we wouldn't take many snacks at all.

It's worth taking the alcohol though so you can have a drink whenever you feel like it without paying resort prices. You can also take your wine to dinner and they will charge you $15 corkage - this still may be cheaper than ordering of their wine list. We took wine a few times when we wanted one of our good wines with dinner and it was much more economical.

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying supplies on the way to Shangri La

Thanks alot for your detailed response and hints, we leave on Sunday, and will now stock up on the alcohol prior to arriving, and may just take snacks for the 20mth old now. Cant wait!

3. Re: Buying supplies on the way to Shangri La

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Sigatoka