We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

We are staying at the outrigger in a few months, and there are so many mixed reviews on their food prices and quality. I was wondering if others can tell me if they ate anywhere else nearby, and what they thought of the food at those places. Thanks!

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

The following link has restaurants close to the Outrigger. As well as prices for meals at the Outrigger and other information. Hope it helps.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294336-i3771-k357…

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

There are a couple of nice little cafes etc along the beach road from Outrigger...heading back towards Sigatoka.

One is Le Cafe, and the other names escape me!! Sorry! Bedarra Inn also has a nice resteraunt for b'fast and dinner. One of the cafes is a nice pizza place.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

The Bedarra and Le CAfe have good meals

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

Also there is a place called Tubakula Bungalows which in next to the outrigger in the opposite direction of sunset strip.

Lovely meals and cheap prices.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

Bedarra Inn has fabulous seafood and really cheap.

Le Cafe has great pizzas and cheap beer. You might miss it if you're like me and walk around in the morning! It opens at 4pm every day, and opens for breakfast early on Sundays.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

We went in June 2010 (4A & 5C) and found the meals to be pretty good at the Outrigger. We went to one of the Sun Strip cafes and were very disappointed. Because the kids ate free at Outrigger we were no better off financially and the food was not at the standard of the Outrigger. If you are travelling without kids the Cafe's would probably work out cheaper (if travelling with kids we did negotiate a better hair braiding deal at one of the Cafes! Enjoy your trip - we had a great time.

Goonellabah
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

Hi,

We have just returned from the Outrigger, and found the food to be fine, and the prices farely reasonable. We had breakfast included so did not opt for the meal plans as it would not have been cost effective.

There are a lot of choices, the pizza cafe - I don't think is opened for lunch, the poolside cafe, - opened for lunch and dinner, the buffet style, opened for breakfast and dinner, and there is also a little cafe opened for lunch in this area, the fine dining restaurant, and finaly the cafe back up at reception, serving sandwiches etc.

Room service as well.

Also, you get free interent access when making a purchase at the reception cafe, and the cafe near the buffet dining. This can be very helpful.

Obviously the quality of the dining at the buffet was not as good as the fine dining, but it was fine, I think everyone has an opinion, and not everyone will be happy, all of the time, the other thing to remember or consider is that, the food served is a fijian take on western ideas, so they do things a little different.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
121 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

HI. Just thought I would reply as I had exactly the same dilemna as you before we stayed at the Outrigger for 11 nights last month with our two boys (7 and 4). We ate next door along the beach (directly to the right) a couple of times which was cheap and pleasant but did not feed the kids there (about 12 Fijian dollars each, cocktails same as resort but not resort standard), We ate in the resort more than we thought we would as it wasn't as expensive as we expected from reviews. The restaurant next to the pool averaged $32 Fijian for an evening meal, lunches about $22 Fijian. Pizzas at the Sundowner about $30 Fijian (we took off 30% for New Zealand rates at the time so really quite cheap - I do wonder if the people who say it is expensive are just surprised because they expect it to be much cheaper than in Australia or NZ and it is only slightly). We took our own cereals for breakfast for the first 8 days - had breakfast in the main restaurant last 3, about $30 Fijian per adult, kids ate free, an incredible selection of hot, cold, fruits, cereals, bakery, etc, etc. We also took heaps of crackers, snacks, cheese, biscuits, juice and bought fruit at the market in Sigatoka so some nights my husband and I would share a pizza at the Sundowner restaurant which is part of the Outrigger (about $32 Fijian so a cheap meal) and once again the kids ate free. The kids menu is quite extensive - fish and chips, pasta, grilled foods, vegetables, fruit salad, etc. Kids lunches were also great - from a sandwich to a full meal, all free and that really cuts down on the food expenses; we found we had to weigh up whether it was worth it for all of us to eat outside of the resort and pay for everyone, or pay more for adult meals in the resort but kids eat free. I think in the long run it was much of a muchness. To give you an idea, our final bill was $1400 Fijian which included at least two coctails a day, and on some days four (Oops!), firewalking ceremony for all of us, a couple of wines and a couple of beers throughout the stay, three huge breakfasts for the whole family at the main restaurant, one evening meal for four at the same restuarant (can't remember the name of it but included cultural show), all kids lunches and about 5 shared lunches for mum and dad, all kids dinners and about nine evening meals for two adults (about three times sharing a pizza) - this total also included a couple of label purchases from the resort shops too, which probably totalled just under $200 Fijian. We did watch what we spent quite closely and went up to reception every few days to keep an eye on our spending but we were pleasantly surprised overall. Hope this helps you. Have a great time.

sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

Do try the Bedarra Inn, just down the road on the beach, for a meal too. The ambiance is lovely looking over the pool on the terrace, candlelit, linen, great service, small and excellent music with the strolling trio who are a joy. The food is of a very fine standard and very reasonable. Top of the range stuff is FJD22 to 26, great pizzas to feed 2 F$18, stir fry F$14, a child's menu of F$ 5 to 6 (the child's spag bol would feed an adult, and did) with 2 scoops of icecream & topping for F$2. We're extremely picky about our food and we ate our way through the menu extensively for 6 days without a dud meal.

10. Re: Good food near outrigger on the lagoon? Suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 06:30
Get answers to your questions about Sigatoka