We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

Hi All

I have read many of the reviews and forum questions in relation to the intercontinental and the one thing that is not heavily discussed is the snorkelling at the Intercontinental Fiji. Most reviewers indicate the beach is beautiful to walk along and talk about the lagoon being open to waves on a windy day and therefore quite rough. Some reviewers have even indicated that the snorkelling is not good. I am not sure if this poor rating is because they are comparing the Intercon to the snorkelling on the islands or if the lagoon in front of the Intercon just has very little coral and fish.

Most of the reviews indicate the lagoon can be quite rough, particularly on a windy day. I am prepared for this but I would be grateful is someone could share their opinion on the quality of the snorkelling allowing for the possible rough conditions?

If the snorkelling is not good at the lagoon in front of the Intercon are there any locations close by where the snorkelling is nice? Is the snorkelling trip to the nearby reef that the Intercon organise worth taking?

My apologies if I am repeating a question already answered by another review but any help from a Fiji regular who can rate the snorkelling at or near the Intercon would be greatly appreciated.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

Natadola Beach is certainly beautiful but can get rough at times with strong currents. I would take the trip offered if you want to snorkel as there aren't really any other places nearby to snorkel.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,726 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

I would certainly endorse Hooked's comments. But I would emphasise that the currents are strong, in fact dangerous at times. There have been fatalities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

Thank you for your advice. Have either of you experienced the strong currents. I am a good swimmer and regularly swim at the beaches in the Sydney. I would be surprised if the currents were stronger than the surf beaches in Sydney but if they are then I think I might need to budget for a trip to the islands on one or two of the days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

Hi

I have been to the intercon twice once in Feb and then Oct. My husband and I both love the beach there ,we would often swim over to the little island there.The currant is a little strong but we were fine . The snorkelling there in front was great my husband had no problems with it being rough..Im from Sydney and I find that the beaches here can be a lot worst.

Enjoy your stay its a great place

Tauranga, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

I lived at Natadola for three years...yes there can be currents between the resort and navo island...however common sense is that you cross on low tide. Snorkeling is OK in front of intercon and their water sports people can take you elsewhere for snorkeling which is pretty good.

the only fatalities have been cases of drunks in the surf, and one surfer who went out in atrocious conditions...no snorkelers have been drowned

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

Hi All

Thank you for your replies. I have now just come back from the Intercon myself and agree with the comments above.

There are two parts to the beach at the Intercon which actually make for such a nice beach.

1) Around the front of the resort is a long beach which extends for about 2km. The beach is similar to a very tame surf beach in Australia (ie 2-3 foot waves) breaking over reef and sand. There are no real rips or currents that I experienced in this area and it is certainly less dangerous than Sydney surf beaches.

2) On the side of the resort there is a 100m channel that runs between the resort and Navo Island. Att the end of the channel is a sandbreak and in front of this is the main reef. Like all channels the tides run in and out and there are currents on a falling or rising tide. As the previous reviewer said common sense prevails. If you are a weak swimmer don't go into the channel when the tides are running. If you are a good swimmer you can use the flow in the channel to take you out to the reef out the front. There is no danger if you are a good swimmer as the channel has a sandbank at the end. It is also only 100m wide so you can easily swim across it even if the channel is running. For those that love snorkelling though when the channel is running it's a great way to float by the little reef inside the channel.

Getting back to my original post there is snorkelling at the Intercon. It is not as good as the snorkelling at the Islands as there is no real deep water drop off. However there are plenty of small fish and some nice coral in parts further out and it is worth the effort if you like to snorkel. There are also some good dive sites close to the Intercon. I am not a diver but having spoken to others who went out on the dives they highly recommend them.

My advice to people looking at the Intercon is to look at the purpose of your holiday. If your whole holiday is based around great snorkelling and diving then go to the Islands. If you want a great family holiday where you can spend an hour or so each day getting a snorkelling fix then the Intercon is a perfect resort for you.

I will complete a full review later but the resort itself was amazing. The resort is only three years old so all the rooms are new and luxurious. The service and food were the best that I have experienced in Fiji and the landscaping of the resort it brilliant. The beach is beautiful and the pool is heaven for kids aged 2-10 years old.

7. Re: Snorkelling at the Intercon or nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Sigatoka