We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Is it expensive to purchase your drinks at the resort if so are you able to purchase take away near by????

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Hi Psycho Chook,

We stayed at the Outrigger in 04 and yes, the alcohol is a bit pricey. if you head down to the beach from the resort and turn right and walk along the beach, there is a little bar that has cheap drinks, meals and a pool table etc. We ended up going there most nights and it was great.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

PsychoChook,

I thought it was very expensive for the drinks and meals at Outrigger. I would pick up a couple of bottles at the duty free at the airport and take them with you. There is also a large bottle shop on the main drag of Sigatoka you can have your driver stop and you can get a couple of bottle and snacks there.

katt

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Hi there

My Hubby and I are flying out to Fiji on Saturday and are staying at the Outrigger. We were thinking about taking one of the food packages that they had on offer for 5 days that cost around $700 Australian for the two of us for a week, do you think this is a good deal or could we eat in the local restuarants cheaper?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

It is a pity that I have had a cross over with Mads and Paul as I would have been able to let them know that the 5 day meal package is too restrictive.

We got back from the Outrigger yesterday, we had taken the 9 meal package that is 256FJD each - three breakfasts, three lunches and three dinners. You are restricted as to which restaurants you can take your meals in. However, we thought the food was good. The service is in the main friendly but very hit and miss. You can get asked three times whether you have been served or in reverse have o ask three times for something. This is in Vale Ni Kana the large restaurant. In the others the service was more organised.

The nearby restaurants on Sunset Strip are WAY cheaper and the food is pretty good. At the first one on the strip, Hashims seafood, there is an open bar and restaurant, a convenience store and a taxi/car hire stand. We went there a few times as the food was good and cheap. Beer very cheap there as well. FJD 2 in happy hour compared with FJD 7 in the resort. It is FJD 2.50 at other times.

You can get takeaway beer and rtds there aswell. Same price as the bar price.

You could of course catch a bus into Sigatoka (75cents) and pick up some beer at the supermarkets or liquor store there, even cheaper.

If you go to Sigatoka, beware the Indian souvenir hawkers around the market. They do not take no for an answer very easily. Also bargain very hard if you do want to buy. Start at 10 - 20 percent of the asking price. (In the market that is with teh Indian hawkers) The Fijians who sell trinkets tend to have lower, more fixed prices to start with.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

kiwi acct - We are arriving in fiji in 2 weeks & staying at outrigger for 4 nights. Anything else you can pass on for dress at restaurants, entertainment at night, places to eat? Did you try the tour desk? mollyp

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Hi Mollyp

To help you with your enquiries, the dress code was fairly informal throughout most of the resort.

In Vale Ni Kana the main restaurant shorts and a T shirt are fine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Footwear is required.

In the Baravi pool bar it is definately more casual during the day as people eat and drink there straight from the pool so swimming short and a t shirt are fine as are more casual type clothes.

The Sundowner bar is casual as well during the day as it is straight off the beach. Of an evening tidy casual is more of the style. Tidy shorts and a tidy shirt again a t shirt being OK.

The Ivi restaurant is the exception to the rule. A collared shirt must be worn by guys. Dress shorts or slacks are required as well for the guys. Dress shorts or a skirt/dress for the ladies. No jandals (Flip flops) sandals or shoes only, definately no bare feet. No kids at Ivi either.

I endevoured to use the tour desk there to procure a rental car as I was experiencing difficulties inittially getting one from the car rental company down the beach. However after I made my request and expected them to call me back and they didn't, I gave up. So I tried Avis on the beach again and 10 minutes later had a late model Toyota outside the lobby waiting for me.

The tour desk always appeared well staffed as in numbers but as to their efficiency in procuring tours I cannot comment as we did not use them for this but instead did our own thing. We have been to Fiji before and I basically can find my way around so we did the DIY thing. Check there tour prices out and then compare them with the taxi/tour company next door on the beach. You may find it cheaper to use the guys on the beach. They are called Johnnys Taxis next door to Hashims convenience store.

If you do not want to be bombarded with trinket sellers make this clear at the commencement of the trip no matter who you use, either the Hotel tour desk or another supplier.

Another note of caution, if you are in town and someone askes you for your name do not give it as you are likely to be offerred an elcheapo carved wooden knife with your name (misspelled) upon it at an exorbitant rate. They can be very persistent about you paying for it too. This practise has died down a bit, but I was warned by a local that it is still happening in Nadi and Suva. Though it did not happen to us (Maybe we looked too poor, ha ha)

In the main though I think you will enjoy your time there. Fijians are amongst the most friendly people on earth and are in the main very good hosts. Remember your Bula (hello) and Vinaka (thank you)and you will have a great time.

Let us know how you trip goes.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
221 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Forgot to mention entertainment

There is a Meke night (cultural night) at the resort on a Tuesday I think from memory. It is pretty good. One of the better ones I have attended in Fiji.

Apart from that there is limited entertainment in the resort other than a few Fijian songs from a local ensemble. The local bars do not provide much either other than the radio on in the background in place of anything else.

Everything is pretty low key. It is not really a "party" resort at all.

Eating is OK in the resort, as I mentioned above it is a little on the pricey side. If we were off resort we ate at the Le Cafe not quite as flash as the name would indicate but the food is pretty good and fresh or next door at the open air bar/restaurant that has seafood written above it (though I never tried their seafood their but ate the chicken curry with roti, very nice).

The eateries on the strip are very basic indeed but we came away in one piece. There are other along the strip that we did not try at Bedarra and the Casablanca. Priced very reasonably as well.

I hope this helps a bit

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

Thank you. It really helps. Now I have to tell my husband to pack a couple of nicer collared shirts. He already has his suitcase half packed. This is our 2nd trip to fiji, but didn't experience the market hawkers then when we stayed at an outer island the whole time. This time, we mostly staying on Vite levu except for 3 days to Tokoriki (where we were married). We'll be coming from Suva too, where we have also been warned about the trinket sellers. I'm alittle afraid to rent a car, which is what we wanted to do at first, but the tour desk sounds like a good deal. Maybe next trip! Vinaka! mollyp

9. Re: Price of Alcohol at Out Rigger on the Lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 10:35