We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suva

Which Suva hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
1 post
Save Topic
Suva

I was myself in Suva for buisness and I always attempt to combine a little pleasure with Buisness.

However on this instance I worked around the clock in my hotel in order to get out of the place earlier than I was supposed. I was going to loose 4 days of my life which I could not recover, I did not intend loosing any more.

Whatever reason you may have for going to Suva....... just DONT. Its Canberra meets Purfleet.........

It truley is a horrible place, I can speak with conviction as I have travelled a lot of continents.........

This is one of the most bleakest places I have ever been....god knows what the suicide rate is.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suva

Wow, and I thought Belize City the biggest stinkhole on the planet. Hard to imagine anything in Fiji beig so awful. I believe you, I hate Nadi and have been told Suva makes it look like an outer island paradise. Pub

Woodstock, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suva

This is more than a bit unfair. The view of Suva harbor is terrific; the museum does an excellent job of presenting several thousand years of Polynesian and Melanesian culture; and the people are warm and friendly.

That said, Suva is NOT a great tourist destination. It does not have the facilities to house, feed, or entertain large numbers of foreign visitors to the standards they expect from tourist destinations. Plus, it rains something like ten FEET a year in and around Fiji's capital, and that can put gloom in the heart of the cheeriest traveler. (Which I gather "ebdon" was not.)

For the business traveler, try to get out and see Suva's few interesting sights, have a lovely seafood dinner at the floating restaurant across from Ratu Sukuna Park, and get on with your business -- the rest of Fiji awaits your free time...

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suva

Captain Ted, I understand your point of view and you have had some good experience there. However I have little desire after so many trips to the South Pacific to see the "urban centers" Apia, Papeete, Nadi, I've seen them and vastly prefer a beach and a blue lagoon. That is why I go to the tropics. Pub

Suva, Fiji
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suva

I think we, Suva residents, all need to work on further promoting Suva as a tourist destination. Suva has a lot of activities but these are not marketed well.

A lot of other visitors and former residents of Suva have a much more pleasant memory of the city.

So to you all, check out Suva over the next few months.

Vinaka.

Suva, Fiji
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suva

Plus check out and blog or add your comments on my new blog site to promote Suva as a tourist destination.

Please visit http://promotingsuva.blogspot.com/

Vinaka.

Woodstock, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suva

So...GilbertV thinks I was too hard on Suva, and Pub-7 thinks I was too easy.

Oh well -- that's Fiji.

;)

Suva was home for four years in between the most recent coups, and I will always have a warm place in my heart for Suva and for all of Fiji's people.

That said, Suva is not a great tourist destination.

Lake MacQuarie
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suva

Hi ebdon

SUVA is not Purfleet by a long shot. Try going to the local places and enjoy the people, i go to the bowling club each year when I am in Suva and love it.I find Suva a fun place if you know what to do.

Nadi, Fiji
Level Contributor
60 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suva

I myself enjoy suva very much, but then again i live in savusavu so any excuse to go get some real food and air-con is good enough for me...

The things that are in suva are not very well marked or advertised the way westerners are used to , so that being said, i love the restaurants and the shopping and everything else about it.

But dont go there if ure looking for blue lagoons or the "real fiji" because u wont find it in suva or nadi. Try savusavu for these things.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suva

yes savusavu is the perfect island escape! :)

Suva is not. However suva is a beautiful city, its not modern or like australian cities but you cant expect that. I have been to suva twice and loved it both times. Its full of history and interesting places.

10. Re: Suva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 23:19