We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suva and Safety

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Suva and Safety

Hi everyone. Husband and I are STILL tossing up between the Cook Islands and Fiji. My question is; if we go back to Fiji we would like to see Suva and are thinking of staying at The Pearl for 2 nights and self-driving in and out. We then would like to drive back to Denarau. I'm a bit nervous about the 2010 political situation in Suva as I wouldn't like find myself in an unsafe situation. I know the Western side is fine and friendly; is it worth the risk to go for a peek at the capital? Many thanks. :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suva and Safety

Its fine, you dont have to be concerned at all.

I go to Fiji alot and have been to Suva several times and even during warnings that they are considering evacuating expats etc and I have never seen any soldiers or any reason for concern.

Go have fun and watch your bag in the market :-)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
549 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suva and Safety

Totally agree with Birch, Suva is perfectly fine to visit, the political situation has settled and there are no soldiers on the streets so go and explore and have fun , if you are looking for somewhere nice for lunch try the Black Dog Cafe its on the main street - great food. The Pearl is a lovely spot to base yourself. Just remember when driving to observe the speed limits and drive carefully through the many villages and keep your eye out for wondering stock - sounds a bit daunting I know but it is a lovely drive with lots of photo opportunities.

Level Contributor
395 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suva and Safety

DoryBlue - u mean Bad Dog Cafe next to O'Reilly's bar & diagonally across from the Suva City library.

I agree it's a nice place to eat there. If u interested in curries, Singh's is the place to go :)

Enjoy your adventure into Suva city cause it is so much fun. Be aware of pick pockets as u would anywhere in the world.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
549 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suva and Safety

Yes, I stand corrected you are right...just knew there was a B in there somewhere!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suva and Safety

Self driving in Suva can be a little daunting, especialy trying to find a car park!!

The only 2 things I would be aware of, as mentioned above, is watching your wallet, but also NEVER get too friendly with anyone!! They will draw you in with polite conversation, and ask you your name. NEVER give your name, because it will be engraved in a piece of wood so so fast, and you will be expected to pay and get into all sorts of hassle.

Driving home from Suva, try to do it with still a bit of daylight. There are no roadside lights, so it can be very dark when you dont know the road.

sydney
Level Contributor
252 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suva and Safety

Agree with Kirjobat,

Dont give out your name. It happened to my mum & dad 70+ old. They did not pay but it did cause hassles. Luckily my brother and his wife were with them.

Other than that they enjoyed their day tour to Suva. Said they saw nothing that alarmed them. Just be aware of your surroundings and your personal safety. (As you would in any country) There is no risk.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suva and Safety

Thank you to everyone who replied. You've certainly set my mind at rest and I think we'll definitely take a look at Suva. Good tip about giving out my name - will be especially careful there :).

Cheers

Nadi, Fiji
Level Contributor
60 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suva and Safety

Yes it is definately worth checking out suva..i live in fiji and i would advise if u are driving from the pearl to suva, u drive during the day, never at night..the pollitical situation is not a concern to visitors or ex-pats, they tend to leave us out of theyre problems as long as we dont butt in to the pollitics...ure biggest worry would be getting a flat tire on ure way back to the pearl if u are driving after dark....during the day would be just fine, flat tire or not, u will find wonderful, helpful people..

9. Re: Suva and Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 04:16