We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food expenses per day

California
Level Contributor
366 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Food expenses per day

How much can two people expect to spend on food per day? (Moorea only)

We are probably going to end up bringing some snacks, like peanut butter & jelly, dry cereal, protein bars, etc, to save a little on food expense, and we will try to share one meal (I heard hotel beakfasts are pretty large - large enough to share)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food expenses per day

Ia orana

the response will lay in how much you are willing to spend.

Hoping that you are still on board with the Pearl resort and would by so be walking distance to Maharepa, from a few Dollars to a hundred is the response.

how hungry will you be/

meherio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food expenses per day

Ps the good side to have chosen Moorea is that you will not fall to temptation with the $ 14 banana on Bora Bora...

<< yes we have no bananas..>> the song said, ( new anthem for moorea ! )

meherio :)))

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food expenses per day

Travelchica

i can send you the menu with prices for the pearl

that way you get an idea of meal cost.

and it will make meherio laugh:)

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food expenses per day

i will inquire about the cost of coconuts on moorea

we all need variety in our diet:)

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food expenses per day

Hi Travel:

It really depends on how much you eat! Many people bring snacks such as you are. Breakfast usually runs around $30-35 per person for the buffet. A la carte in your room is cheaper for things like croissants, coffee, tea, juice etc. At dinner there are a wide variety of options. I will say that as an average if one were to purchase a meal plan including breakfast and dinner it would be about $100 per person/per day. So, this might give you an average. Sometimes more, sometimes less if you are out on your own.

sunny regards,

shully

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food expenses per day

Ia orana

Rent a car for teh day and drive to the Champion supermarket on the other side of the ferry dock to stock up on snacks, cookies etc...

Should you drive to the other direction, Are supermarket is at the end of the bay after the bridge..

Keep in mind that most stores close for lunch for 2 hours and that on Sundays the times of opening are very limited. Just a couple of hours for ARE ( 6 to 8 ) and up till 11 Am for Champion.

Bon voyage

meherio

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food expenses per day

Travelchica,

You will be able to buy staple things like dry cereal and peanut butter & jelly at the grocery stores on Moorea (either Champion/Toa near the ferry or Are Supermarket in Cook's Bay, near the Pearl, or at the small Chinese magasins all over the place). So I wouldn't pack those things from home, though you might want to take your favorite protein bars, which won't be readily available.

You can eat inexpensive lunches by buying local baguettes (less than 50 cents!) and some French cheese and/or pate, along with the delicious local fruit (mangoes, papaya, pampelmousse, and yes, bananas)! Also look for a few roulottes (small trucks selling food) along the way. Near the Are supermarket are a "chickenlady" selling rotisserie cooked chicken (excellent!) and a Chinese-style takeout truck. Sometimes these meals are more delicious than anything offered at the expensive restaurants! There is also a wonderful patisserie in Maharepa called Carmeline's, great for breakfast pastries.

If you are staying in a room without a kitchen or a small refrigerator, it might be good to take a small cooler (some are collapsible for packing, some have wheels) to store some food items. Most resorts have ice available.

We travel to Moorea quite often, and by self-catering and eating at roulottes, with big restaurant meals only about twice a week, we average about $100 a day for two people (and that includes the Hinano!)

Hope this helps!

California
Level Contributor
366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food expenses per day

*hangs head*

I have to confess to something...

....... I switched our hotel (again) ... to the Sheraton....

I know!! I know!! Maybe a stupid choice overall but we really wanted to have awesome snorkeling right at the hotel! We are GOING for the beautiful water and snorkeling and felt it would be best to stay at the place that has some of the best of that... AND... I feel like it was a really great decision for what we want.

so.. back to no restaurants in walking distance huh??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food expenses per day

Ia orana

Aito restaurant will know you by your first name by the third day.

You will work on your appetite walking

Enjoy

meherio

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food expenses per day

The Sheraton is the best choice. Awesome snorkeling. They have reasonable and very good breakfasts for $20.00 for two. Plenty to eat. If you get the buffet it is much more (around $30 per person). We got omelets and bacon for $9.00. One day I got a fruit plate, and pastry plate for $9.00 total. For lunch at the Sheraton there is Aito's and there is a little pizza place less then 5 minutes walk from the Sheraton. Dave and I both ate there for $10.00 total. We had pannninis (sandwiches) and awesome pineapple juice. Dinner is something you should splurge on. You are on vacation. Good out, have a nice dinner. Avoid Alfredos, it is VERY expensive and not really that good for the money. They charged almost $9 for a 1.5 liter bottle of water and then we had to wait 30 minutes before we got our check and could get a ride back to the Sheraton. We rented a car one day from Albert’s (if you rent it at 2PM, you can keep it till morning) and drove around and then went to Les Tipaniers for dinner. This was one of our least expensive meals and it was very good. Dave had Lasagna and I had a pasta dish with eggplant, zucchini and broccoli. We spent around $55.00 for two. Our average dinner for our 12 night trip was 12500 (approximately $125.00 for two); however if you took out Bora Bora it would be considerably less. We spend $185 & $175 for dinners in Bora Bora. Our most expensive meal in Moorea was the seafood buffet at the Sheraton, this was my least favorite meal in Moorea. Our favorite meal was dinner at Te Honu Iti. This was very good. Dave had beef medallions and I had Mahi Mahi. We got there early so we got a table by the water. The restaurant has stingrays that swim in the water. I fed the stingrays by hand while we waited for desert. You can spend more than our average (we are not big drinks, so we had one beer with dinner), but it is hard to get a decent dinner for less than $50.00. Have a nice breakfast, snack at lunch and have a great meal. I second, not taking a lot of snacks from home. There is a small grocery within walking distance of the Sheraton, but they are closed on Sundays. Take enough snacks for two days and then walk to the grocery for more. You need to eat local snacks, you may not get the chance again. We did not have the buffet in Moorea and spent an average of $25.00 for breakfast for two and $25.00 for lunch for two. There were days we only ate breakfast bars for breakfast (we had excursions and no real time to eat) and then had a bigger lunch. So, if you want to eat nice and not really worry about the money (and please don’t its vacation) then I think an average food budget per day is $175.00 - $200.00.