We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone tried using prepaid credit cards in FP?

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone tried using prepaid credit cards in FP?

Just thinking that maybe this would allow one to avoid having too much cash as well as the danger that a bank or credit card company would freeze one's account since some won't take advance notice.

There might still be an international charge, I guess, but I thought I'd ask here before I try to research it with Visa, Mastercard, etc. since I've found better answers here than anywhere else.

Thanks!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone tried using prepaid credit cards in FP?

Yes, my Mom did last year. One of the Green Dot Visa cards. She had no problem using it at all. Yes they did charge a conversion fee. One problem is with most of them is you can not load that much money on them...around $500, I think. And, I don't know what would happen if it were lost or stolen...do they cover the amount like a regular credit card would or would you just lose what ever amount you had on it??? I don't know the answers to that.

You shouldn't have a problem with your credit card being frozen. We've never had that problem. We have notified them ahead of time that we would be there using it. We always bring 2, just in case.

We mostly use our Visa Debit card and a regular credit card. We do not take money out of the ATM with the debit card, but rather use it as a credit card. And we've had no problems at all. There have been a few times the credit card machine at the register at the Are Market on Moorea has not worked, so we just use cash in those instances. (Personally I think they turn it off so they don't have to use it)

If you prefer to bring a lot of cash then make sure you bring most of it in Travelers checks, then you are covered if it is lost or stolen. Personally I think having to make a trip to the bank all the time to cash them is a pain in the butt.

We only take around $500 cash with us, and convert it all upon arriving at the airport in PPT. There really isn't a lot you will need cash for. A taxi, or a bus ride, a small purchase at a market, some of the smaller vendors and roulottes. Otherwise just about everything else can be charged.

With the exchange rate right now, I'm probably going to take $600 instead of $500 on my trip next month...I'll end up with the same amount of xpf's that $500 used to get me.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone tried using prepaid credit cards in FP?

Thanks, Patti!

3. Re: Has anyone tried using prepaid credit cards in FP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 18:20