We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timetable for our holidays

Magdebug/Germany
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
timetable for our holidays

In June/July 2009 we will spend our holidays on the Cook-Islands and in French Polynesia. We will start with the Cook-Islands:

Atiu - 2 nights

Aitutaki - 3 nights

Rarotonga - 3 nights

Then we will fly to Tahiti (flight is already booked) and go by ferry to Moorea. I also booked a cruise (Bora Bora dream with Archipels). The cruise will start in Fare/Huahine on July 11th at noon. Is it better to leave Moorea on July 10th and spend one day in Huahine or should we stay four nights in Moorea and take a flight in the morning of July 11th? The cruise will include an excursion a half day guided tour in Huahine, visit of Polynesian archeological sites.

The end of the cruise will be in Vaitape/BoraBora on July 18th. The same question. Our last station is Tahiti.Departure to Germany will be on July 22nd. We will spend by boat one and a half day in the lagoon of BoraBora, but no excursion to the Island. Is it resonable to stay one night after the cruise on BoraBora or is it better directly to fly to Tahiti ?

Please give ma an advice.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: timetable for our holidays

I am the conservative sort, and during almost 15 years of travel in FP, I've seen too many delays, strikes, weather problems, etc., to be comfortable leaving an island on the morning of a day I would have to make an important connection on another island at noon. So I would suggest, for your own peace of mind, getting to Huahine on July 10, and spend a night there to be sure you will make the connection with your cruise on July 11.

Same thing on the way back, but it depends on what time your international flight departs. There are more flights from BB to PPT than from Moorea to Huahine, so you might have the leeway to spend the extra night on Bora if you have a LOT of connection time on your last day to fly to Tahiti and connect with your departing flight.

Others will disagree, I'm sure. And it is very possible that you could successfully tweak an extra day each way by waiting until the last minute to fly to your connections, but I wouldn't take the chance, especially with the Moorea-Huahine morning connection.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: timetable for our holidays

Hallo Magdeburg:)

I agree with Barbie on your 1 day early arrival in Huhaine. Besides not taking a chance on missing your cruise due to flight delays it is a beautiful island where you can experience the authentic polynesian life st it's best. I would stay at the TeTiare for one night if I were you.On the return as Barbie said you would be ok to not spend the night since there are more flights from Bora Bora to Papeete. If you leave Bora Bora early you can leave your baggage in the lockers, rent a car for the day and see Tahiti or get a day room at the brand new Manava Suites (beautiful and inexpensive considering FP prices).

Where are you staying in Moorea?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen Bo

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: timetable for our holidays

Yep, I agree with Barbie too! There are just too many variables. My advice is to get to Huahine the day before your cruise. :)

The last day from Bora Bora to Papeete there are many flights, so just book yourself on the second to last flight is my advice.

sunny regards,

shully

Magdebug/Germany
Level Contributor
88 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: timetable for our holidays

Hello,

I thank for information. We will stay the last night before the cruise will start in Huahine. I think Relais Mahana must be a good choose for accomodation. It is less expensive than Te Tiare Beach Resort.

With my second question I want to know where it is better to stay Bora Bora or Tahiti. We are one and a half day during the cruise in Bora Bora Lagoon. Tahiti is the bigger island. So I think it will be interesting to make a walking tour to the mountains on the isle. After the cruise we have four days one or two in Bora Bora, three or two in Tahiti or all four days in Tahiti ?

Last question: I try a online-booking on the website of air tahiti. But they forgot the button "send" on the reservation form. So I try it per e-mail to reservation@airtahiti.pf But this mailing address is wrong. What can I do ?

Cornelia

5. Re: timetable for our holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 21:17