We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

We have 14-16 days alloted for our trip to Tikehau via Papeete this coming summer. Our home is near Washington, DC. We can depart from DC as early as Jun 21st, but must be home by Aug 6th. In general, what are the least expensive days of the week for travel to/from Papeete? I'll get cost info on RT flight Papeete/Tikehau once I decide on travel days. Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

Honestly, they are all expensive! Unless there is a good sale going on you will have a hard time finding a good price.

But also...be aware there is a total eclipse going on in the region (I think July 11) and the flights a week or so on either side of that date will be priced very high and possibly booked solid.

Have fun planning!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

There are options on the Air Tahiti Nui reservations page online for "flexible dates" that will bring up a calendar showing the different prices for different dates; look for "Calendar Shopping". https:/…OnlineBooking.aspx

In general, you are going to find June dates to be cheaper than July and August, because of the school holidays and because many people have already ticketed the cheaper fares during those months. And, as Patti mentions, dates around the solar eclipse (July 11) are going to be filled (some booked a year in advance!), and expensive when available -- that is the height of "high season".

I just put in random June dates on the Calendar Shopping (June 12-19) and prices came up ranging between $1076.80 and $1804.80 depending on departure and return dates, so there is quite a difference based on day of week. Also, your fare will be computed on the length of your stay; some of the 5 day or 7 day specials will not be available for a two-week stay.

As for your flights from D.C. to LAX, you need to price various domestic airlines to see what dates are best to fly. Allow at LEAST a 3-hour connection time in LAX both ways.

Edited: 07 April 2010, 19:05
Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

You can expect the base fare to be 1050.00 plus tax subject to availability in

the lowest class of service. The maximum stay on that fare is 3 months.

Are you only going to Tikehau?

Regards BO

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

We want to visit two atolls. Tikehau is one. Haven't settled on the 2nd. I hear Rangiroa and Fakarava are beautiful. We want to do a lot of scuba diving wherever we go.

Looking for lodging recommendations now. Prefer the best possible accommodations. Will probably arrive Papeete on or about July 22nd.

5. Re: What Are Best Travel Days For Low Airfares?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2010, 05:18