We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

Los Angeles,CA
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

We're cruising Dec 28, 2010-Jan 8 2011-- and I just happened to look up the weather that time of year----hurricane season and rain ?? How prevalent is this ???? Hope I didn't make a mistake!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

Being their summer months...it's not the best time of year to go. But it's not necessarily a bad time. I have been 5 times in Feb (also in the more humid summer season) and I've had spectacular weather on some trips...a few rainy days on other trips...and then this past Jan/Feb...I was lucky enough to have a tropical depression go through one week and a cyclone (their hurricane) the second week. LOL! So anything is possible. They are mostly out of the main cyclone belt of the south Pacific...it's somewhat unusual to have one go through French Polynesia. But because this past year was a El Nino year...the weather patterns were a bit out of the ordinary.

You will likely have some showers pass through a few times a day...followed by a periods of sun and then a quick shower and more sun. Although it certainly can rain heavily for days on end, it is not typical. A few scattered showers and scattered sunshine is more typical.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

I've been to FP in December and January, and though it is about 5 degrees warmer and a bit more humid on average than July-August, it is still lovely! You will not regret it!

As Patti said, Tahiti is mostly out of the hurricane path (hurricanes are called "cyclones" in the South Pacific), and it's unusual for cyclones to hit there. This past year was an exception, and the storms occurred mostly in February and March.

You will probably experience some showers and possibly thunderstorms, usually late afternoon/evening, and mostly sunny days!

Edited: 08 June 2010, 16:58
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
138 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

We stayed in Moorea from Dec. 26, 2008 to Jan. 3, 2009 and Bora-Bora from June 24, 2009 to Jun. 29, 2009. The weather question is really a gamble, because we had weather perfect 7 days in the winter (rained only during the night, but almost every day) and not such a great weather in summer (rained during daytime twice and it was quite windy). It was more humid in winter through.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

Yes - they call is hurricane and rainiy season. But really, anything can happen. We were in French Poynesia from Dec. 4-19, 2009. In all of 16 days we one one slightly raining afternoon on Moorea for about three hours and one rainy morning on Tikehau. That was it. Other then then perfect blue sky, sunshine and heat!!!!

Just enjoy - if it does rain it's still warm - enjoy a Hinano and take in the scenery!!!! :)

Lorio

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

The only thing pretty much guaranteed about the weather in their summer months (Nov-March) is it will be warmer and more humid than it would be in their winter months (June-Oct).

6. Re: Weather in tahiti December-January did I make a mistake??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 06:28