We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

groceries

Level Contributor
25 posts
groceries

I plan to stock up on as much food as possible throughout my honeymoon to avoid all of the resorts charges..

will pick up liquor in LAX at duty-free

I then have one night in Tahiti, 5 in Moorea and 5 in Bora bora.

Should I pick up groceries in Tahiti before I take a ferry to Moorea or plan to do it there?

How about Bora bora? Given I'm staying at a resort, should I stock up last day in moorea before heading to bora bora? And Can I fly inter-island with liquor in my luggage??

Santa Barbara...
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,912 posts
13 reviews
171 helpful votes
1. Re: groceries

Hi there,

You may wish to just pick up alittle soda or water in Tahiti at the airport and save your shopping for Moorea. Bring some snacks from home like nuts, energy bars, etc... Best to do your grocery shopping when you have a rental car for the day in Moorea. In Bora Bora you don't mention where you are staying, but there is a market in Viatape, main village, and also in Matira Bay. Yes, you can bring the alcohol on the inner island flights no worries...you can carry it on or put it in your checked luggage. Just be sure your luggage weight is within the restriction of 44lbs checked luggage and 6.6lbs carryon

sunny regards,

shully.

Washington
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
167 reviews
68 helpful votes
2. Re: groceries

Wait until you get to Moorea to buy your groceries.

Yes you can fly with the booze in your luggage. Take some large zip lock bags to put it in and pad it well in the luggage.

The goceries will ba tad bit cheaper on Moorea than Bora

Level Contributor
25 posts
3. Re: groceries

Thanks for the replies! So I will plan to stock up in Moorea. Do you all definitely recommend renting a car? I hadn't thought about that since we are there 5 days and have several excursions planned. How much does a car rental cost for half-day?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: groceries

Okay, maybe it's just me...and this is just my personal opinion here...BUT....staying at a 5 star honeymoon resorts and trying to avoid all resort charges is going to not only be difficult, but be counter-productive. You are going on your honeymoon to have a luxurious time, not to penny pinch. I know I sure wouldn't want to be staying at a 5 star hotel in Bora Bora, on MY honeymoon eating peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars.

Yes, there are ways to cut down on some of the expenses....like bringing some of your own booze, buying juice and water at local markets.....and bringing "some" snacks. BUT...you will not have a stove, or cooking and eating utensils, and a small VERY refrigerator for food/drink storage.

Plus, if you are buying food and drinks in Moorea to take to Bora, consider the added weight. You are on a severely limited luggage weight on the Air Tahiti flights. AND...Hamara's point about the ziploc bags for food storage is a good one...otherwise tiny little ants will find your food in no time. And if you truly plan to buy grocery food, other than snacks...bring some paper plates, plastic forks and spoons, a cutting knife (for cheese or fruit).

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
31 helpful votes
5. Re: groceries

Where are you staying on Moorea? Depending on which hotel it is, if you don't have a car, you won't be able to easily get to a store to stock up. Car rental should be in the $80-90 range.

Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: groceries

Thanks

We plan to stock up mostly on liquor and groceries like baguettes and cheese will be a perfect midday snack for us.. we have breakfast included for all hotels and I'm budgeting several hundred for dinner every night..

We are staying Hilton Moorea and St. Regis bora bora.. aside from groceries, will I really want a car if I have excursions planned? Sounds like a good idea but do I really need it? Would a 4x4 tour not cover everything I would want to see?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: groceries

Okay, that makes more sense. From the way I read your post I thought you were trying to plan on most of your meals away from your hotel dining. While that's certainly possible if you are staying at a pension with cooking facilities, it is very difficult at a resort.

Other than shopping and checking out some of the local stops at your own pace, there is not that much on Moorea that a tour wouldn't cover.

If it's primarily baguettes and cheese you are looking at...then it makes sense. That makes for a great light and inexpensive lunch. Again, be sure to bring a knife and several ziploc bags. The baguettes are best found at the stores first thing in the morning. The supply often runs out quickly as the locals tend to buy 4-6 loaves at a time.

8. Re: groceries

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.