We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Im planning a somewhat last minute trip to FP (May). Looking to stay approx 3 weeks. We want to snorkel, lay on beaches, explore some islands, mostly we want privacy & sun. We dont want to island hop too often. Will we regret it if we skip Moorea, Bora Bora & Papeete? And just stay on the smaller, more private islands like Tahaa, Huahine & Rangiroa (hopefully at the Kia Ora Sauvage)? Thanks in advance for any advice!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Three weeks is a long time in one place. Island hopping is done quite often in FP. Why not plan a week in Bora Bora, a week in Tahaa or Moorea and a week on Rangiro

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Toomuch, with all due respect to Astrid and I realize we're all different, three weeks in one place was sometimes never enough for me. Problem is now with that much time in French Poly, price is going to be in the stratosphere. Let me suggest something to you that should be seriously considered. Hardly anyone spends three weeks in Tahiti anymore, most can't, but since you are able there is a place where you can have more privacy than is attainable at most places now. The Vahine Island resort. It's located on a motu off Tahaa. Only 9 rooms, locally owned, and top rated by Conde Naste. What's more is that I believe May will still get you the stay 9 pay only 6 deal. The room rate is reasonable by Tahiti standards to begin with and the free nights make it an even better value. Huahine and Rangiroa will give you much more old world Polynesia, the one I was fortunate enough to have experienced. A poster named cessnapilot said very aptly, It's a shame what's been done to Bora Bora, but he doesn't feel quite right about telling folks to not go. I agree though I've used stronger words in the past. Papeete is worth only a night , two at most. I would go to Huahine, Rangiroa, and of course Vahine Island, hands down over Moorea. Moorea is a beautiful place but something there didn't do it for me. To tell the truth, because Bora Bora was not overrun like it is today and much cheaper, that and that we had made so many friends at Hotel Bora Bora, no other island had a chance. I know now however that I didn't appreciate Huahine as much as I could have for the above reasons. I liked it better than Moorea though. Let us know what you decide. Pub

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Thanks for your responses, certainly 2 different points of view. I know 3 weeks is a long time and it will be horribly expensive but why else are we working so hard?

We want to be away from people and tourism as much as possible. And I dont think 3 weeks is enough time!

Here is what Im thinking, obviously depends on whats available since this is just a month away.

Tuamotu's for about 7 days - 1st choice, Rangiroa, but only if we can get the Kia Ora Sauvage, 2nd choice Tikehau, 3rd choice Manihi.

Tahaa for 6 nights. 1st choice Vahine Island. 2nd choice Pearl Beach.

Huahine for 6 nights. Te Tiare Beach Resort because Im not seeing too many other options.

In any order that makes sense and is available.

Then Bora Bora for 2 nights, just to see it. Stay in one of the ridiculously priced OWB for our anniversary. I think we have to stay 1 night on Papeete in order to fly home.

Ive contacted 3 travel agencies to see what they can find and to give me the astonishing $$$$'s!!

Do you think one of the Tuamotu's, Tahaa, Huahine, with only a very brief stop in Bora Bora is going to be worth the money??

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Too much, do Vahine over the Pearl. Shully will tell you I'm nuts but your trip IS going to be way up there. Why not get some value and support some locals at the same time. Vahine will be hundreds of dollars a night cheaper and the meals will also be significantly less, with no loss of quality. In my opinion it is a much better value. I have spent extensive time in French Polynesia, and I think your plan is awesome! Huahine, Rangiroa, and Tahaa will be worth it for the reasons I mentioned in the previous post. Have heard great things about Te Tiare and have been told the garden rooms are very reasonable. May I ask why you are set on Sauvage and not the regular Kia Ora on Rangiroa? the manager is a good friend of mine, I can write him and tell him to expect you. For Bora Bora try the Hotel Bora Bora. It has the best main body of the island location, best snorkeling by far and great beaches. I spent 80 days at the original version and thought it the best location on earth. The deep OWB's will afford great views of Otemanu. Notably the one closest to the mountain (right hand end facing them from the beach) May will be a great time climate wise. It will not be too hot and actually May is a bit of a transition from the hotter to the cooler season. Expect low to mid 80's with low 70's at night. Tradewinds will keep it tempered. The sun will be relatively low in the sky as it is starting to hang well to the north, but it still will be very intense. Good sunscreen is a must. I'm excited for you. Pub

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

I would love Vahine over Pearl but with just 9 rooms and only a months notice, they may not be available. As far as Kia Ora instead of Sauvage, its not that Im opposed to the Kia Ora at all. Its just that the Sauvage with only 5 other couples sounds way more private. But if I end up at the Kia Ora, I will sure take you up on your offer!! Thanks for the info about Bora Bora too. We know that ones going to be the most expensive (which is why we are only going to stay 2 nights there). As far as the money, I got a couple of quotes yesterday. Its going to hurt but I know its going to be worth it!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Looks like this is the trip...

Huahine, 6 nights Te Tiare, beach bungalow. Tahaa, 6 nights Vahine Island, beach bungalow. Bora Bora, 3 nights Pearl Beach Resort, POWB. Tikehau, 6 nights Pearl Beach Resort, OWB. Papeete, 12 hours at Hotel Tiare (place to leave our stuff, see the market, take a shower before a 2:30am flight).

The price is high but I cant wait!!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

So you got into Vahine!? Excellent. I want full details of everything. If the owner of Vahine is there, (Sandra) tell her Pub says Ia Orana! Pub

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Vahine has a stay 6/pay 5 promo, as did Tikehau Pearl. Te Tiare has a stay 6/pay 5. So I get 4 nights "free". Not that its what anyone in their right mind would consider a good deal!!

Pub, I will tell them you sent me there and will send an update when I get back!

Seattle
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

Just wanted to give an update, finally got all my travel plans set - I leave 3 weeks from today!! When it all came down to exact availabilty, couldnt get Vahine Island, which is really disappointing. But, since we have never been to FP, Im sure we will have a great time anywhere we go. We will have to do Vahine Island next time!

Huahine - 6 nights at Te Tiare Beach Bungalow; Bora Bora - 3 nights Sofitel Motu OWB; Rangiroa - 3 nights Hotel Kia Ora Beach Bungalow, 3 nights Kia Ora Sauvage Beach Bungalow; Tikehau - 6 nights Pearl Resort OWB; Papeete - 1 night (really 12 hours) Hotel Tiare.

22 nights, half board at Te Tiare, Hotel Kia Ora, Tikehau Pearl; full board at Kia Ora Sauvage; no board in BB. Mainland & interisland airfare, taxes and transfers...$15,970! I know thats a lot of money but I think I did ok, works out to $725/night.

I want to thank all of you who post on these boards as it really helped me make my decisions. I will post an update when I get back. Thanks again!

Kauai
Level Contributor
117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20 year anniversary - 1st time to FP

How exciting! Have a great trip.