We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

richmond virgina
4 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

I have read just about every review on this site and I am still not sure what to do. My fiance and I will be honeymooning in bora bora and moorea during the middle of september of next year, and we are trying to base our decision on the entire experience of the hotel with the focus being on the OWB and the snorkeling. Any suggestion would be most helpful.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

I also wanted OWB and snorkeling as my number one priority. We stayed in Moorea at the Sheraton and in Bora Bora at the Sofitel Motu. We were not disappointed.

From my trip report: FYI you can see pictures if you hit the more about Astrid link

The lagoon at the Sheraton is crystal clear and only about 4-5 deep with no real current. This makes for a very pleasant snorkeling experience. Unlike other resorts, we saw in Moorea, the Sheraton has an upper and lower deck. The lower deck was perfect for sitting and just watching the fish or jumping in for snorkeling. The Sheraton was very relaxing and effortless.

We stayed at the Sofitel Motu. I was told it had the best snorkeling on the Island. It was amazing, but much more work than at the Sheraton. You could not just jump in the water and snorkel as there is not really a lot of coral by the bungalows, but between the islands and behind the Motu there are coral gardens and canyons with big fish, little fish, red fish, blue fish (do I sound like Dr Suess?). Several snorkeling boats come to the coral gardens every day, so when you get in the water the fish swarm you because they are so used to being fed. I literally had my finger nail polish nibbled off two of my fingers and I did not even have food. Some guests took a Kayak to the gardens; well we tried this one day and found it was much easier to walk along the rocks and then get in on the other side.

The lagoon by the Sofitel goes from 18 inches deep to very deep. It also goes from very cold to very warm and of course from light aqua to very deep royal blue. We stayed in unit 111. This is the very end unit, closest to the coral gardens. I requested this unit, but would not stay there again. There is another smaller Motu next to the Sofitel’s Motu and the wind whips though that pass and hits unit 111 head on. I think the best unit is 115. It has a better view of Mt Otemanu. Unit 111 has a view of the beach and the pass between the motus. I think the tree top bungalows are charming. They are situated on the side of the hill and surrounded by palm trees and laurels. The path to get to them is made of volcanic stones and rocks and it really adds to the authentic Polynesian charm of the Motu. This is a VERY private Island and also very romantic. I highly recommend this hotel for fish freaks on their honey moon.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

Hello atf:

Well that's a hard question as there are many beautiful hotels with overwater bungalows in Bora Bora. Most are in the four-five star range and are quite expensive. I would base your choice on the ambience of the hotel as this seems important to you. The hotels range from true Tahitian decor like the Hotel Bora Bora to the ultra mondern at the Intercontinental Thalasso. The bungalows at the Thalasso are beautiful and quite large as they are at St Regis as well. Both are sparkely new and quite luxurious. I have lots of photos of most of the resorts if you want to see them just email me at shully123 at hotmail dot com and I'll send em over. The Pearl and Bora Bora Lagoon Resort are both lovely choices as well with beautiful views of the island. They are both less expensive than the IC and St Regis. The Le Meridien and Sofitel Bora Bora are excellent values in Bora Bora. The Bora Bora Nui has an expansive beach and great accomodations. Probably the best snorkeling is at the Hotel Bora Bora which is on the island. There are many choices. I know how difficult it can be! Let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you. Congratulations!

sunny regards,

shully

California
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

It's tough because you have to decide what your priorities are and what's most important to you in picking a hotel. Is the snorkeling more important? The ambiance? The location of the hotel? The service? Unfortunately, no hotel has everything. For example, on Moorea, the Sheraton is said to have the best snorkeling, but the Pearl has the best location.

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

Hi,

We stayed at Bora Bora Nui for our honeymoon. We had an overwater bungalow that was well worth the price. We could feed the fish from the glass coffee table. You can also snorkel from the room - snorkel and flipper were provided. This resort is on a seperate motu from the main island and there is great snorkeling on both sides of the resort.

We found the service exceptional and front desk were able to organise our diving trips. One night we had a tahitian bbq in our room one night which was fantastic. The food in general was great which was really important to my husband.

I would recommend this hotel especially for a honey moon.

Congratulation and Good Luck.

NY
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

Hi,

We stayed at Bora Bora Nui for our honeymoon. We had an overwater bungalow that was well worth the price. We could feed the fish from the glass coffee table. You can also snorkel from the room - snorkel and flipper were provided. This resort is on a seperate motu from the main island and there is great snorkeling on both sides of the resort.

We found the service exceptional and front desk were able to organise our diving trips. One night we had a tahitian bbq in our room one night which was fantastic. The food in general was great which was really important to my husband.

I would recommend this hotel especially for a honey moon.

Congratulation and Good Luck.

6. Re: Best place to stay for a honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 18:19