We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

Hello, we're arriving to Papeete from LAX early morning (around 5:30 am) on Sat Nov 4th and we have booked ferry to Moorea around 12:20 pm.

Can we use that time to see something interesting in Papeete?

What should we do with our luggage? Should we get to ferry terminal and leave it there and walk around, or should we leave our luggage at the airport and pick it up later?

The original plan was to stay night in Papeete, but Air Tahiti changed schedule and flight arrives early morning.

If you think we won't be able to do anything interesting probably I could pick earlier departure for ferry to Moorea, but I hoped we'll be able to see at least something.

We stay on Moorea and Bora Bora in IC resorts and we have Costco membership. We don't have Ambassador card.

Sorry if similar question was already asked - I'll be happy to look at the links.

Thanks,

Anna

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
291 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

There is no luggage storage at the ferry terminal and it would be too much of a hassle to leave it at the airport then come back for it. You could rent a car for 4 hours, keep the luggage in the trunk and drive around. If you can change your ferry ride to a flight, then it makes sense to return to the airport after leaving your luggage there... Otherwise I would just pack light (1 carry on each) and carry it with me while I venture the Papeete market. Or see the town on your departing day and take an earlier ferry to Moorea.

By the way, you should really consider getting the Ambassador card! Even if you are not a frequent Intercontinental guest, the upgrade and additional perks on Moorea and Bora Bora will be nice to have. Plus you can use the Buy one Get one free weekend night voucher for a romantic weekend in the next year.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

Thank you very much for suggestions!

Unfortunately we won't have time on our way back - so Sat morning would be the only time we could see something on Papeete.

It's unfortunate there is no luggage storage at the ferry doc, and I'm not sure if market with the carry on will be feasible. I also not sure if we would like to shop on our very first morning on Tahiti.

Are there any tours we can take from the airport?

What time sun goes up in beginning of Nov?

If there is no other option maybe I should switch ferry ride from 12:20 pm to 9:15 am. Probably 7:15 am would be too early, because our flight is supposed to land at 5:20 am and we'll have to pass custom / immigration / exchange money / find transfer (Costco is supposed to book all the transfers)

We booked through Costco and it was a good deal 3 night+4th free on both Moorea and Bora Bora, and we wanted to book particular type of units on each island, and when I was looking at the possible Ambassador upgrades when I booked my trip (which was a while ago) I remember I decided not to go for it, and I don't think we'll have opportunity to stay in another IC resort next year.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

And sorry I meant Sat Nov 5th, not 4th.

I can check with Costco on how much inter island flight to Moorea would be compare to ferry ride, but we'll have survive two flights on our way to Papeete, so I picked ferry ride for variety, besides the costs saving, but if there is really a "must-see" attraction on Papeete I could consider switch ferry to flight to Moorea.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

Since you don't need reservations for the ferry I would simply try to make the earliest ferry.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

www.aremiti.net This gives you the ferry schedule. If you wish go

on the early ferry. You can always go to Papeete on the ferry early one morning and return to Moorea later the same day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

That's an interesting suggestion and I think it might work.

I'll call to Costco and ask to remove booked ferry from my trip - instead we'll stay flexible and catch the earliest ferry available - will look around and see if we like Papeete at a glance and would like to go back during our stay in Moorea - who knows maybe weather won't be nice for staying by the water or we'd have enough of water activities.

We'll also check prices on Moorea (don't plan super-shopping, but I'd like to get something authentic and unique with pearls), so if we won't find anything on Moorea we can check the market on Papeete without worry about luggage.

Thanks for suggestion, I like that plan :)

7. Re: Sat morning on Papeete: between flight and ferry to Moorea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 16:17