We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the taxi driver

Winnipeg Manitoba
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Tipping the taxi driver

We will be taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel-the concierge told me the cost and the price per bag ( very inexpensive) BUT my question is-do I tip the driver?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

Tipping for years in French Polynesia was against the social custom however some but not all tourists from North America don't bother to inform themselves of the customs of the country they visit so they practice the same customs as they do at home.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

I don't purposely tip them. Whether I do or not really depends on what bills and change I have at the time. If the taxi fare is 1700xpf and I don't have any 100xpf coins, I'll give them 2000xpf and just tell them to keep the change. But if I happen to have the exact fare I will give it to them and no tip.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,494 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

Hi hi,

I don't usually tip unless someone provides a service that is above and beyond :)

Tipping is not required nor is it expected.

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 12 March 2013, 00:04
Michigan
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

The one tip that really seems to be desired is a favorable write-up in TripAdvisor.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 00:40
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

What is tipping custom in restaurants, bars, hotel staff?

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

Tipping for many years and even today is not required in French Polynesia. Years ago it was a complete no-no but folks who tip at home tip in FP and today it has become OK. It's a personal choice. I haven't tipped for

35 years of traveling to FP.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

As stated, tipping is not required, but you'll see signs everywhere though: "tipping is not required, but appreciated." We usually just tip everybody, just like we would anywhere else on a trip.

As for the taxi driver, I wouldn't tip unless as Shully stated, he went above and beyond, and/or he actually helps you with your luggage, is very friendly and helpful, etc.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

Tipping is not the norm in FP, and sometimes it is not appreciated. I do not tip unless an exceptional service is provided -- in the case of a taxi driver, this would be something like stopping for a quick grocery or beer pickup on the way to your hotel, or some other unexpected service.

9. Re: Tipping the taxi driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:15