We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

I am staying at club Bali hai, can I ship a coffee maker and coffee? What about liquor?

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Bad idea... The postal delivery is not very reliable, and your package may not get there by the time you do, if at all. Also, your coffee maker would need to be 220v, which American appliances are not -- the voltage would fry your appliance the first time you tried to use it. Also, the cost of shipping to FP would negate any savings over buying coffee and alcohol there.

Buy alcohol in duty free in LAX, where it will be delivered to you post-security at the gate and will not be counted as luggage weight. Beer and wine are readily available in FP; it's only hard liquor that is so expensive there. Coffee is also available at the Are Supermarket near Club Bali Hai.

I'm not sure if CBH has coffee makers in the room, or just a hot pot for boiling water. If the latter, bring a Melitta cone and filters to make your own coffee.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 14:47
Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Closer to the Bali Hai is the Super Marche PaoPao take a left when leaving

the Club. They all speak English so ask the girls if you can't find anything in the

store. I've known them since they were very young. Family friends for years.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Unreliable postal service ( and high rates) definitely should kill this idea.

You can check in a travel store ( or website) for a traveller water heater ( that goes in a cup)

just bring a Plastic coffee filter cone holder an filters , buy your coffee at the store.

We love the Fetia brand coffee while on Moorea.

Ps ARE Supermarket now accepts credit cards ( No Amex Though)

Meherio.

Michigan
Level Contributor
491 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

We brought the Starbucks Via packets - instant coffee - and found it to be quite good (and we brew a pot of coffee every morning at home). They are lightweight and super easy to pack.

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

HaveKids--Thanks to your suggestion awhile back, I have the Starbucks Via packets waiting in my pantry for their trip to FP in 4 1/2 months : )

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Tuamotu Archipelago
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Because we are at pensions this time we are bringing a small hot water pot instant packets of coffee and our own creamer. I can't do without it in the mornings and live to be up at sunrise there. We buy wine or tahiti drink there for our room. It's not a bad price at all.

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Thanks everyone for your replies, how about the cost of things such as bread, milk, lettuce, peanut butter, butter...you know staples????

Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Thanks for the answer neighbor!, I live up north, just outside of ShowLow, AZ.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

You will find most food staples available on Moorea, but priced about 25-50% higher than at home. The exceptions are those items subsidized by the government, such as bread, rice, and a few other staples. A French baguette is about 60 cents -- a wonderful deal! It is not worth the luggage weight to bring things such as bread, peanut butter, etc.

Club Bali Hai is in a great location for being able to easily get to several grocery stores for staples.

Wico, make sure your small hot water pot is compatible with 220v electric! You will also probably need a plug adaptor -- American to European.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 14:59
santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can one ship over coffee and a pot to brew, how about liquor

Coffee coffee yes yes! If we are staying at a resort that only offers 'freeze dried' in the bungalow...we bring a small French Press and our favorite grind from home in a zip loc. Most all accommodations have a hot water pot to boil water.

sunny regards,

shully