We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

I'll be staying at the InterContinental in Papeete for 6 days in July. My friend and I prefer to walk as much as possible. Longer distances (1-3 miles) are fine, as long as it's safe to walk on the roads and the path is relatively simple (no excessive turns or confusing directions). Considering this, could we walk to the below places, and about how long is it to each?

1. Roulettes

2. Ferry Terminal (to Moorea)

3. Market to buy groceries

4. Market to buy souvenirs

Any other places walking distance we could explore?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

With that distance, you could possibly walk to the market, but remember, you will need to carry it back.

The ferry to Moorea, roulettes and downtown area are taxi friendly. About a 10-15 minute taxi ride. The grounds of the Intercontinental Hotel are large and beautiful, but walking in great distances is limited.

Moorea is an excellent day trip by ferry. Check return times so you do not miss the last ride!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

On both trips to Tahiti my wife and I walked great distances from the IC without any difficulty. Past the airport we discovered a quasi-Costco that was really well stocked. We each brought empty backpacks with us and loaded up supplies for a few days.

There were only a few sketchy places along the main road to walk but nothing really bad. There is a market very close by as well as a few shops.

The grounds of the IC are big enough that a few laps might be a couple of miles anyway!

Enjoy the trip!

TC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

Thanks for the information! So, we should not be walking downtown to the ferry and roulettes?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

I do not think it is a reasonable walk. Hour to 1.5 hours and from what I remember, no defined walking areas in many places.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

The Intercontinental is NOT in Papeete but near the airport. As mentioned above it takes 15 min by taxi to get to the centre of Papeete and the road is not really the kind of road you would walk. If you don't want to take a taxi, the hotel offers a less expensive shuttle, but it does not run at night.

Whangaparaoa
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

My wife and recently stayed there and walked to a large well stocked supermarket and shopping complex. It is along the main road heading away from the airport direction. It took us an easy 20 minutes each way.

The footpaths are generally okay.

It is one the same side of the main road as the Hotel. Take an empty back pack so it is easier to carry things back.

It was open quite late, I think until after 9:00pm

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

The supermarket in walkable distance is located away from Papeete, so please do not confuse this with walking to the town centre.

8. Re: Where can you safely walk from InterContinental in Papeete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19