We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

Which Papeete hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Venura, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

We try not to arrive by plane the same day a ship sails. One cancelled flight, and the ship has left without you. So if we stay one pre-cruise night in Papeete, we're looking at a full day (plane arrives early morning), one night, and then to 2:30PM the next day to head to the ship. Should we stay downtown near the dock? A nicer place between airport and town (so taxi ride from PPT to hotel, then hotel to dock? Any places with reasonable "day rates" (but nice to hang out at)? The ships pre-cruise option looks as expensive as the cruise itself.

montreal
Level Contributor
622 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

I stayed at the Tahiti Airport Motel for one night before a flight and The Manava Suites for one night at the end of the trip. You don't want to stay at the Tahiti airport Motel during the day, it is a real budget motel and there is nothing to do there. Do you really want a Motel? The Manava Suites is really nice and is less expensive than the other large hotels, they have a nice infinity pool and pool bar, but no beach. It is a contemporary hotel and caters to a younger crowd from what I saw. They don't charge you anything to use the pool after you check out, you can keep your towels and use the pool until you leave that afternoon. I can't remember if they have a courtesy room with a shower, but you could email and ask. The Intercontinental is popular, but will cost you more than the Manava.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

The Intercontinental is really lovely--for us, it's worth the price difference. Especially for one night, I don't think it's that steep. Then you have the grounds, the pools, the view, the lagoonarium, and some really nice eating options. Manava Suites is nice, but we strongly prefer the IC. I agree that if you're looking for a place to hang out during your stay, I'd look at one of the resorts.

Venura, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

Thanks to both of you for responding. I looked at the IC and it did look nice, but the price per night was $400 and that was before any charges for being there before/after check-in/check-out. I will keep checking to see if I can find a price break. I will also check out the Manava Suites. Researching last night, I read where the Farehau hotel/B&B will sometimes pick you up at the airport, give you a day tour, and get you to the ship the next day (for a price). That sounded good, but I haven't found out how to contact them to discuss these transportation and tours. Bookings seems to be by booking companies only (hotel.com, etc) for the rooms and no contact info for the B&B itself.

montreal
Level Contributor
622 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

I have heard that Fare Suisse will pick you up at the airport, never stayed there, but lots of people on the forum recommend them. They seem to book up fast, so check them out. Try trivago.com for hotel prices.

tripadvisor.ca/…17806783

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

Manava has a transit room available for their guests, so this might be your best option! The suites are really nice, and the transit room is convenient in showering/freshening up, and the pool area is gorgeous, with an amazing sunset view of Moorea. There's a market across the way and plenty of snacks/roulottes within walking distance. It's not too far from the airport, but it's not in Papeete.

In Papeete, I haven't stayed in but know a couple options include Hotel Tahiti Nui which caters more to business travelers, but I've heard they have an amazing restaurant and pool/spa. There's also Tiara Tahiti just across from the marina and is cheaper but have heard mixed things about it. From either, you'd be very close to port and can enjoy your night in town with some good restaurants/bars or the roulottes.

I

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

$400/night seems... high for the Intercontinental. You should be able to get a garden view room for $250-320. If that isn't in your budget, I'd also look at Manava. We thought the Hotel Tahiti Nui was quite decent, but the pool was full of an exercise class and we just didn't want to spend hours wandering around the market.

7. Re: Recommendation for 2D/1N pre-cruise motel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:16