We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young pioneer tours?

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Young pioneer tours?

I've read a few reviews and may go with them. Share any experiences please

Chennai
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young pioneer tours?

Just got back from DPRK tour which was a arranged by YPT. I couldnt think of a better touroperator to organize a tour into this country. Of course I dont have a comparison but mainly it is all about the relationship between us (visitors) and the local guides plus the western guide. We had Richie from YPT and he was the best! He has been there so many times that basically all the local people we were in touch with (mainly the guides but some others too) knew him and they all would like him! Ive read about some touroperators that dont provide a western guide. That must be weeird!

Edited: 22 January 2013, 10:12
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young pioneer tours?

I'm going to the DPRK in September this year with YPT and so far they have provided very good customer service!

I have previously travelled with a tour company that didn't provide a western guide and it was actually not weird. It was very fun and we got to know our guides very well, and they where great people with a good sence of humor :)

Prairie Village...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young pioneer tours?

I'm going in April with YPT for the Kim il Sung birthday tour. Just curious, in the pre-tour document they sent, it says to bring some kind of gift for the guides at the start of the trip. What kind of gift did you bring? I'm just trying to get some ideas...

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young pioneer tours?

Hi shippsy

I suggest you give your male guide a carton of cigarettes (they prefer the stronger ones) and/or a small bottle of scotch or brandy. Your female guide will be happy if she receives some nice chocolate and/ or cosmetics (hand lotion, perfume etc).

But you are free to give them what ever you want :-)

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young pioneer tours?

They are also a lot more appreciative if you give them things that were not bought in China (I guess they get a lot from there)

European branded products tend to go down quite well

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young pioneer tours?

Very interesting...how do the North Korean authorities treat American tourists??

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young pioneer tours?

The only time that you really deal with the authorities is at the border crossing. The border guards were actually really friendly and nice to chat to. We had two Brits, two Aussies, one Irish and one American in the group.

The rest of the time, you just deal with the guides. Ours made it pretty clear that they like the American people, just not the government. (though I guess that's exactly what they've been told to say!)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young pioneer tours?

Nice to know they were friendly, not exactly something you would expect!

Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young pioneer tours?

Yes, despite what people may think, the people in NK are very nice but it is like anywhere else; if you are nice to others, they will most likely be nice to you.

BTW, I forgot to mention that it would also be nice if you brought some pallpont pens and/ or candy etc. that you can give to children your group may meet. (Just make sure it dont have a "MADE IN USA" or "MADE IN JAPAN" label printed on it ;-) )

Timbuktu, Mali
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Young pioneer tours?

Just got back from DPRK yesterday morning. Regarding YPT, they were very unprofessional, with one of them drunk all the time and very loud. I mean I got what I wanted out of the trip, but I would never go with them again. They put so much pressure to tip and give loads of gifts for the guides, which while nice, is only to the benefit of their company.