We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Submarine base

oxford
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Submarine base

we're planning to spend 2 nights in Albania later this year and having seen Top Gear are wondering where exactly the dis-used sub base is and if the public have access to the area? also from sarante where is the best place to visit the bunkers? perhaps there's a company that arranges organised tours to the above?

thanks in advance

Silsden, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Submarine base

We saw it from the coast road between Himare and Saranda, at a place called Porto Palermo. Didn't know what it was at the time, but Clarkson revealed all. There were no indications of it being open to the public, though it might have changed since we were there in May 2009.

Surrey
Level Contributor
29 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Submarine base

Must say, I thought the submarine base and the decommissioned MiG’s at the airbase were absolutely fascinating.

If you go onto Google Earth you can find the submarine base by pasting in

N40 4 21.22 E19 46 42.74

The airforce base is thought to be Kucove and that can be found at

N40 46 28.33 E19 55 55.17

Happy hunting, I wish I was coming with you !

Edited: 19 February 2011, 11:02
Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Submarine base

The submarines you saw in Top Gear are located at the Pasha Liman Naval base (google map: 40.326688,19.417949). I lived in the barracks right in front of them for several months as a U.S. military advisor to Albania. They as well as the sub pens and airfeild are off limits to tourists. You might have luck contacting the navy brigade headquarters and ask for a tour. You'll find they are really nice and helpful. Good Luck

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Submarine base

The sub base is at Pasha Liman at the southern end of Vlore Bay. I was the first American naval Officer to go there (in 1994). They have a few rusted out hulks of old Chinese diesel subs. Even if you can go there - it is NOT worth the effort. You can see the subs on Google Maps. Have fun - Matt

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Submarine base

Just a correction, the subs are Russian made and not Chinese.

6. Re: Submarine base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Albania