We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why should we visit Albania?

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
866 reviews
Save Topic
Why should we visit Albania?

We are thinking of visiting Albania for two weeks next May?

Can you tell us why we should visit Albania rather than Greece, France, Italy, etc? We are not interested in beaches, but scenery, culture, history and local food.

What are the prices like for food and drink?

40 replies to this topic
Cetinje, Montenegro
Destination Expert
for Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
316 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

Because it is still undiscovered country and has many things to offer. In comparison with others you mentioned is much cheaper, people are friendly and hospitable and in May the temperatures are great, you can climb the mountains or be on the beach.

Try to visit Kruja, Shkodra, Berat, Gjirokaster, Tirana and coastline.

Food and drinks are very affordable and by western standards very law priced.

Have a great time,

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
866 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

Thanks - we will try to visit Montenegro sometime as well

Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

Visit Albania because it is unlike any other place you will ever go. I am generally not comfortable in really strange and somewhat less progressive places, but Albania is probably the exception to many rules. It is scenic, historic, inexpensive by Western standards, and for me it was just totally and hysterically entertaining. I traveled solo from Corfu on ferry and first saw sights around Saranda which include the famous archaeological park of Butrint and the Blue Eye Spring. The latter you probably need private transportation to reach, but there is a local bus to Butrint. Then there are either bus or furgon(vans) to other locations. If you have several travelers it would be cost effective to hire a guide/driver, but as I was solo I relied on furgon to go from city to city and it was such fun to go bumping along seeing the country and the people. Very little English in the south, another good reason to hire if you can afford it, but people are very cheerful and eager to help. Tirana was a real surprise - like an upscale European capital except much more colorful and wild. Something for everyone, from art galleries to open markets to the legendary concrete bunkers from Hoxa's time where you can take a photo of yourself climbing in or out of one. I can't say enough good about Albania and how worthwhile and enlightening a visit can be.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

We spent a week in Albania several years ago. Please see my post under carolph contributions for December 2012 "Our week in Albania". I think this will give you some idea of why you would enjoy the country.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

Hi,

I can't tell you that Albania has to offer more than France or Italy, but if you want something different and special go for it.

Albania is quite small so I would recommend renting a car and being "in movement" those two weeks.

1. Do visit the Albanian Alps, go to Thethi and Valbone, very scenic. There is a page on fb: Thethi travel guide that can help with information

2. Visit historical sites such as Butrinti, Apolonia, Kruja, Berati

3. The cuisine is REALLY VERY GOOD (I don't live in Albania now and I the food quality is what I miss the most, I miss it every day, 3 times a day :P ). Every region has it's particular dishes, just go to a specific city for ex Korca and ask the locals for a good restaurant (they know best :D) and in the restaurant just ask for their typical dish.

4. Albania is pretty cheap especially when it comes to eating out, food in general and transportation, Even the hotels are cheap I would say, the stars they have anyway don't match with the true standards of staring system but still good.

5. People are friendly and caring, they will try to help. Young people (up to age 30-35) on average speak English pretty good :)

Hope this was helpfull

6. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 14:46

Mill Valley, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

I had a great week-long visit to Albania, flying non-stop from Milan. Three days in Tirana, with a day trip to Kruj; 2 days in Berat, and 2 days in Vlore. Wish I had more time to head south. albania2go was very helpful with suggestions, insights, and helping with accomodations (info@albania2go.com) The food in Albania is excellent, the people are SO NICE, the prices are low, and the water is beautiful!! It was fascinating hearing the stories from the tour guides about the transition from communism to capitalism.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

Hi all,lm albanian..nice question ,,Why should l visit Albania rather the Greece,France,Italy etc,,/.l think that some things are common in those places, some things are mixt ,,some things are totally different,,Albania is small country only about 28.000 km square..not high standart motorways in any corner of country,but some are good ,some are very good roads,,and some of them not properly good enough,,there are mountains that you must go by offroad cars,or by hiking.,,no cable car-telpher to reach the top of mountains..the country is poor compare to Europian Union countries,,and the natyre far from civilisation is beautyful,,dont forget how to go there,,?? by offroad car and walking.,these places beter to go in summer time,,,and beaches are beautyful,,Albanian riviera,,saranda,,vlora,,/.there are 3 big lakes,,Shkodra lake,Ohrid lake,,Big Prespa lake,,the natyre at big-prespa lake is great,,in some villages in north ,there are a lot of people still in old traditional costumes,specially womans,,in Mirdita,Puka,Kukesi,Lezha,Tropoja,Shkodra,,

hostels are not common in albania,,there are some villages in tropoja,,malesia e madhe-shkoder,,around big-prespa lakes and in other places but not to much hostels.

Hotels and Motel there are a lot,,

to try some traditional food is good to have any albanian guide,or friend ,and you can go with him in albanian family ,eating the food with them in their family table.

in north albania are some musical instrument still in use in families that you can not find in any place,in south there is poliphonia,,.there are castles in ,Shkodra,,Lezha,,Kruja,,Petrela,Durres,Elbasan,Berat,Tepelene,Gjirokaster,,and more small castles like in kep-rodonit,kanine-vlore,,,arceologic sites,,in Durres,,Kruje,,Shkoder,Berat,Butint,Sarande,.Rivers Drin with 3 big artificial lakes,,river buna connect lake shkodra with adriatic sea,,river mati,river shkumbini close by this river is the old Roman road of Egnatia,that went from Durresi to old Costandinopoli-istanbul.,river vjosa,and a lot of internal rivers,,that have beautyful view,,but rough,,l mean dont look for motorway close to river,castle,mountains,arceological sites,,etc etc,

,SO if you want to see just CONCRET,HIGHWAYS,ASPHALT,stay in downtown of tirana,or durresi,

Diversity in way of life is out of downtowns,,want diversity come in albania.

about SAFE or NOT SAFE place ??,l believe that everywhere anytime each one must be carefuly,eyes open, BUT-ask yourself you foreigner if you are British,,are you sure that in some shadow-area of london or other big cities you can walk without being intimidated in night time,,by the way l live in London ,,Edgware,,??,,if you are italian,,are you sure you can walk without fear in night time in some shadow -area in rome,,milano,torino,,venezzia,or florence,and other big cities there ??,,if you are French are you sure you can walk without fear in some neighboorhods in Paris,,Lile,Lion,Marseje or other big cities,,??

NO.and l will say something you are much more safe in Albania,,and if you are in remote villages,and perhaps you have lost road,or the car has problems or you are under*panic*pressure ,,try to knock on door of houses there,,just try and you will remember a lot of virtues forgotten by most of countries of europe.

if you want to eat better pizza then in italy-dont go in albania-go in italy,/ in albania is not acropolis ,,if you want to see acropolis go in greece,,if you want to see skyscrapers-better dont go in albania,,/. if you want to see Eiffel tower please go in France,,lm trying to say go in albania to see something different.

Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

my husband and I are also thinking of seeing Albania for the first time beginning of this May for 4 days. should we rent a car? is that safe in Albania? want to see the coast and anything else that is beautiful and culturally interesting

Tirana, Albania
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why should we visit Albania?

You should rent a car. Albania is more safe than other places and cheapest place to visit.Very interesting and beautiful places.I think 4 days aren't so much.Have a nice trip you and your husband.

Reply to: Why should we visit Albania?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted