We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Albania

Wales
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Albania

Will be driving our car through Albania to Greece in September.Can we buy insurance at the border,or is there a better way of doing this.We know that we can't get insurance for Albania in the U.K. Also,how safe are the roads/other drivers?We have driven abroad quite a lot and are not nervous drivers.Any advice gratefully received.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Albania

As long as you respect the speed limits you will have absolutely no problem . As for the insurance i do guess that you can buy it in the border . Regards

Wales
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Albania

Thanks for the advice.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Republic of Macedonia, Skopje
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Albania

As previous poster, I can only say drive carefully and obey traffic law and you are OK.

If you have time stop at Berat, Girokaster is MUST. Both are UNESCO WHS.

SH4 motorway is very good and fast. Speed limit is 120km/h /70mi/h

Wales
Level Contributor
159 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Albania

Thanks for the quick reply.We are planning to visit Berat and Girokaster,so you have confirmed our choice.

New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Albania

Just returned from a Balkans driving trip (Bulgaria-Macedonia-Albania-Greece-Bulgaria). We entered Albania at Qafë Thanë – Ќafasan, drove west through Elbasan and south through Fier, Vlore, Dhermi, Sarande, and exited into Greece at Kakavia – Ktismata. I greatly enjoyed the driving in Albania. Being from New York, I have no problem adapting to the slightly chaotic driving style there. The roads overall were pretty good, although occasionally they would drop out for a short distance. Keep an eye out for rocks and debris on the road, and slow moving horse carts even on 4-lane highways. Some of the beach-side roads or back roads were very rough indeed, but nothing our rented Ford Mondeo sedan couldn't handle. I can't answer the question about insurance, as ours was provided by the car rental company. We had no difficulty at any of the border crossings. We were flagged down once by the traffic police who stand by the roadside with their little stop signs, but when he saw we were foreign (I was saying "You talking to me? you talking to me? and thumping my chest), he waved us on.

6. Re: Driving in Albania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Albania