We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa application, unclear what to do

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Visa application, unclear what to do

We are a couple of EU citizens and will be going to Belarus for 6 days. It is not completely clear to us what is our best option for trying to get the visa. We will spend 4 nights in a hotel in Minsk. Should I try using the email confirmation for the hostel booking? Is it likely to work?

We will spend our last night in Brest. If we stay in a state owned hotel, can we use that reservation to get a visa covering all our 6 days in Belarus?

If none of the previous options is likely to work, how do I contact a travel agency for an invitation letter? I asked the hostel I booked, but they did not tell me how... How much does it cost (per person), a letter of invitation?

Edited: 18 January 2014, 15:00
Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

Your option with Brest state hotel will not work simply because the hotel folks will not bother about extra paperwork. Book another hostel - a few are top-reviewed here on TA. Ask them to supply an invitation - I met people staying in Trinity Hostel and Hostel Viva were helped with visas through the hostel partners.

A hotel booking confirmed officially by the hotel only gives you the visa days that cover your booked nights.

A

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

Thank you. I will ask again the hostel whether they can provide me invitation letters through their partners, or if not, contact another hostel as you propose. How much shall I expect to be charged for invitation letters for two people?

Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

30 to 50 euro per person, depends on the greed of my former colleagues, travel agents)

A

Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

guys, come in May.

buy a cheap hockey ticket at www.ticketpro.by and get a visa-free entrance to Belarus.

Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

...and sleep on a bench.

A

Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

one can stay in Grodno or Brest apartments. There is Gomel and Orsha. Minsk can be reached by cheap trains from anywhere.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

Going during the championship is not an option (and will be probably expensive).

I contacted the embassy by email and they told me that "by the prior consent of the consul a short-term tourist visa can be obtained on the basis of a scanned/ fax accommodation booking confirmation for the period of reservation, but not more than for 10 days."

No idea what "prior consent of the consul" means exactly (I have to ask for it before?), so I would try to phone them this week.

Minsk, Belarus
Destination Expert
for Minsk
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

It will be outrageously expensive. This confirmation thing seems like a lottery: in the Hague two my guests get a visa presenting Garni Hotel booking, weeks later I meet another Dutchman who was nearly tortured by the consulate before he had the invitation arranged.

Normally if this is a 3* hotel and you've managed to get a booking confirmation from the managers - it will be accepted.

A

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

I stayed at the viva hostel in Minsk - its a small but friendly budget option very close to the city center. I made my own arrangements for a visa via my travel agent but this hostel will also assist you with it. http://hostelviva.by/eng/about.html - they speak fluent english

good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

10. Re: Visa application, unclear what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21