We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

Curitiba, Brazil
Level Contributor
159 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

I´m going to Croatia next summer and I heard about day trips from Dubrovnik to Mostar. I´m erally interested, but I wonder if the best way to do a day trip is to go on a tour or if I should hire a car.

Is it dangerous?

How long does a bus-trip takes from Dubrovnik to Mostar adna back?

Thanks a lot!

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

If you have the chance you should definitely do this trip. When you ask 'is it dangerous?', do you mean:

1. Is it a dangerous drive? or

2. Is it dangerous in general to go to Bosnia and Hercegovina?

The answer to both questions is a resounding: "No!" Perfectly safe on both fronts.

Hiring a car will give you maximum flexibility (I don't know about the bus so I will let others advise on that).

Curitiba, Brazil
Level Contributor
159 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

I asked if it was dangerous driving, because I heard the road signs are only in the local language, so I was worried to get lost...

About the general security, pretty much all the opinions at the forum are that the country is safe at all, even to foreigners/tourists, so I´m not afraid for that.

I was also worried if it was possible to cross the border with a hired car and if I should get any document or visa to get into the country. Could you advise me on that?

Thanks again!

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

I would not worry about getting lost -- I was very impressed with how easy Bosnia is to navigate. As for the road signs, on the way to Mostar they generally just say "MOSTAR," which is reassuring. There may be some signs in cyrrilic, in which case it says "MOCTAP," though I don't recall very many if any on that route. Either way, if you happen to get lost, if you just pull over and ask someone "Mostar?", they will point you the way.

As for a visa, if you are a Brazilian citizen as your profile indicates, you can enter Bosnia visa free. Here is a list of visa free countries to enter Bosnia:

projectvisa.com/visainformation/Bosnia-Herze…

As for the rental, you need to talk to the rental car company -- it shouldn't be a problem. You will probably need to puchase the minimum car insurance for Bosnia, which last I hear is about US$40, but don't quote me on that. You may need proof of insurance both to get permission from the rental car company and to enter the country (in my case nobody ever asked, but I do think thos are the technical regs).

Have a great trip!

Curitiba, Brazil
Level Contributor
159 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

Well, I'll definitly do that!!!

Thaks for the great answer, you really helped me!

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Cavtat, Dubrovnik, Kotor
Level Contributor
860 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

if you decide to hire a car, there is no need to worry about getting lost - drive from Dubrovnik to Mostar is very simple as you`re always on the main road. drive takes around 2,5 - 3 hours, depending on traffic. Drive is ok, just follow the speed limits, alot of speed traps specially in Bosnia :) Make sure to ask your rental company to provide you with all paperwork to take the car cross the border to Bosnia.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
42,711 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

If at all possible rent a car rather than taking the bus. It will allow you to stop at neat little places like Pocitelj.

7. Re: Day trip to Mostar from Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 05:22