We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

Planning a trip around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia with my father by Car.

Going around April/May and looking for General recommendations.

Mainly interested in the life's of the locals and beauty.

Thank you for your help!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

Please, open your Inbox, I've just sent private message to you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

There's lots to do and see in these three countries. How much time do you have? What's the purpose of the trip? What do you want to do -- museums, nature, good food and drink, all of the above?

Having a car is a good option. The road systems in Croatia and Slovenia are fantastic. (I've never driven myself in BiH, but from being a passenger I reached the conclusion that it's not quite on par with driving on the modern, smooth state-of-the-art controlled access highways of Slovenia and Croatia.)

Smart move on including Slovenia in your itinerary. It's a beautiful country, noticeably wealthier than either Croatia or, clearly, BiH, but the people are just as friendly and the food and drink are fantastic. For beauty, make sure you include Bled on your itinerary in Slovenia.

As for Croatia, you'll meet more locals if your stick to a more northerly course when exploring the sea coast. Plitvice Lakes is inland from Zadar. The islands of the Kvarner Gulf are great. If you go to the islands of the southern Dalmatian coast, it will be beautiful, but local color will be scarce. On the other hand, you do need to see Dubrovnik. And Mostar and Medjugorje are a simple day trip from Dubrovnik. Mostar is definitely a must-see. Medjugorje is only interesting to devout Catholics.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

So we're doing those three counties over 3 weeks.

There is no specific thing we intend to do, just be open minded travelers in a foreign country.

Thankyou for your imput

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

Three weeks for Croatia, Slovenia and Bosnia? That will give you a nice amount of time to see much in depth. You would even have time to explore the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro. You would have a nice amount of time to explore Istria in Croatia. You would have time to see more than just Mostar in BiH, maybe make it up to Sarajevo.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

We were there with our car for 15 days in October. It was a bit rushed but we saw most of what we wanted. We stayed in Pula, Plitvice Lakes, Split, Korcula, Dubrovnik (including day trip to Kotor), Mostar, Split and Bled.

You should have a great time. The roads are fine. Be sure to get the vignette at the border going into Slovenia.

6. Re: Traveling around Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 10:19