We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
481 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

I am planning to visit Sarajevo in June and need to visit Zagreb for 2 days.

I was planning to travel on public transport but the train takes 12 hours and the bus takes 8 hours (and seems to stop everywhere on the route).

So me and two friends are planning to drive between the two cities.

What is the best route and how long should it take? I have read reports between 4 and 7 hours.

Thanks in advance

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Probably best is you go Sarajevo-Zenica-Doboj-Derventa-Brod-Slavonski Brod-Zagreb, should take you between 4,5-6 hours. It depends of traffic in Bosnia as there is just small part of motorway in Bosnia.

Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Thank you.

Is there anywhere worth stopping on the way to see something historical/cultural?

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Depends in what you are interested, Doboj and Slavonski Brod both cities have a fortress.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

You can drive Sarajevo-Travnik-Jajce-Bihac-Karlovac-Zagreb.

Now that's just too much history, nature and buildings. It's real joy.

Travnik was Capitol of Bosnia much longer than Sarajevo. Incredible castle, lot of history there.

Jajce, however is called City of Kings. Huge fortress, lot of history, incredible nature, one of the 10 prettiest waterfalls in the World (by some) and amazing Pliva river with it's lake.

It would be my choice, always. The other way is just drive through some industrial cities with relatively interesting fortresses (Vranduk, Doboj)

Read my trip-report and see the pictures at the end of the report:

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k3686…

Edited: 11 March 2013, 02:08
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Way I wrote about is more straight but like Tvrtko said much less historical and road he suggested is with more curves but also much more historical. So it depends.

Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Thank you.

Google maps keeps showing me the Travnivk/Jajce road, but for some reason when I look into it, Google seems to show a road that does not exist between Travnik and Jajce.

I like the sound of this road, and google maps says it takes just over 4.5 hours to do the journey.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 18:49
Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Google earth is showing me,

Sarajevo - Travnik - Jajce - banja luka and then on to the border and along the E70 to Zagreb

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

you can also use viamichelin

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Like I said, drive from Jajce to Bihac might not be very attractive. But, definitive, it will change your view of Bosnia - you will fall in love with it.

Sarajevo-Travnik-Jajce-Banja Luka-Zagreb will take around 6 hours including about 120 km of fast highway

Sarajevo Travnik-Jajce-Bihac-Karlovac-Zagreb will take about 8 hours with maybe just about 50 km of fast highway.

If you can break it in 2 days it would be great. Stay in Jajce overnight. Road between Travnik and Jajce goes through Turbe and Donji Vakuf. Like almost all roads in Bosnia, it is 2 lane highway.

Let me know if you need any help. That's my favorite part of entire Bosnia. My wife talking me to retire in Jajce when it time comes... And she was there just once.

Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Sarajevo to Zagreb

Unfortunately I do not have time to sightsee on the journey :-( just looking for the fastest and best route to get me between the two cities. Maybe on the way back I will take my time :-)