We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

Edinburgh, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

Hi folks, I would appreciate if you could help me with a few questions.

We will be travelling from Zadar with a rented car from Sixxt this September, and we plan to stay in Mostar for two days, before coming back to Zadar. There are 5 of us : 2 adults and 3 kids.

1. Do we need special travel insurance for Bosnia for all of us ?

2. Can anyone recommend an insurance company based in UK for this ?

3. What's the border crossing like from Croatia to Bosnia ?

Thanks very much.

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

are you coming from dubrovnik or zadar?? we went to mostar from dubrovnik last week. we decided to go the coastal route and took the turn off at neum and i would not recommend this!! the road wasn't great and we weren't sure if we were on the right road for it but got to mostar in the end! i think there is an easier way if we had carried on along the coastal route and took the m17 to mostar. there was no actual entry into bosnia, it was just the exit for croatia. we came back a different way and the bosnia (sprska) immigration was two lads on chairs who just waved us through!

as for insurance just get the green card when renting your car and you should be fine. we just used our normal travel insurance for there. the main road is fine and you'll have no problem getting there once on it.

Edinburgh, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

Thanks very much for the reply. We will definitely look into the Green Card insurance. We are renting a car from Sixxt so we need to confirm with them about the entry into Bosnia.

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

don't think you'll have any issues taking the car into bosnia, when i was checking out about renting a car there was no extra charge for bringing it into bosnia (we had to pay extra though for montenegro), the green card (which we didn't have to pay extra for) is the only thing you'll probably need since you'll be taking the car internationally. the petrol is cheaper to in bosnia too so you might want to top up there.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

Who did you rent from ?

I'm using Auto Europe who set me up with a rental from Sixt (pickup in Budapest). When I told them I was going to take it into Bosnia (Dubrovnic to Mostar, Sarajevo then back to Budapest), they said Sixt won't go into Bosnia, and so they set me up with Thrifty, but I'll have to pay Thrifty an extra 50 euro "border fee".

They also said that a number of folks have called their Service Center saying that they've been denied entry into Bosnia, despite having the right paperwork etc.

Has anyone else heard of this problem ?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

We rented from Sixt in Croatia and had no problem with taking the car into Bosnia. Perhaps skip using Auto Europe and check with Sixt directly?

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

We used vero car rental, there's no extra charge with them to take the car from Croatia into Bosnia

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

Make sure you drive with your headlights on in BiH and keep the speeds down as there are speed traps quite often on the roads.

Milton Keynes...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

Hi, I'm also driving from Croatia to Bosnia. Hiring from Hertz in Split. I have a UK/EU photocard driving licence do i also need an International Driving Permit.

Thanks

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

just had my irish driver's licence and there was no problem just using that. crossing the border all we had to show was our passports and car documents

10. Re: Driving into Mostar from Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 05:16