We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

California
7 posts
Save Topic
Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

We need to go from Sarajevo to Budapest in late April 2012. Is it better to buy the train tickets from Sarajevo to Budapest on line (and if so from which web site) or at the train station in Sarajevo? Thanks.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

I don't know is it possible to buy tickets online from this web. site

bahn.de/hilfe/…online-ticket.shtml

But from offical web. site of FBiH Railway Company

http://www.zfbh.ba/zfbhenx/

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to make reservation or to buy tickets!

The page for online booking is ''UNDER THE CONSTRUCTION'' for years.

:(((

In my opinion, the most important is fact that travel by this train is prity safe.

Edited: 03 December 2011, 09:20
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

Travel in group with more of six tourists by ŽFBiH Railway Company provides you discount of 30% at price. You just need to be one day before travel at cashier office to buy tickets and ask about this.

I believe, this discount is the same at all EU Railways companies.

Edited: 04 December 2011, 09:12
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

Hi, I would like to travel from Budapest to Sarajevo in June. Is this correct that the only way is by train - 1003 from Kelenfold Budapest, arriving 2116 in Sarajevo?

Does anyone know the price of the ticket?

Thanks in advance :)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

http://www.zfbh.ba/zfbhenx/

According to this TIMETABLE the train from Budapest to Sarajevo is No. 259 and arrival is at: 21:10.

I hope on that time in June, there will be new TALGO wagons with bigger comfort for passengers. TALGO wagons are Spanish construction with WiFi for every coupe, shower for bussines people, restaurant-wagon,...etc. The wagons are allready here in Sarajevo. Politics makes problems.

The next post I am going to infrom about price of the ticket Budapest-Sarajevo train.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

You are a very kind, thanks alot for the information. I will indeed be getting this train. I'll book when there.

Sure, I will wait for your reply regarding the approximate price.

THANKS!! :)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

@Greena,

One or two years ago two way (return) ticket was 100 KM what is €50 aprox.

Welcome and please send me message in case you will need licensed guide for Sarajevo or Mostar.

@Pipi

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
31 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

Ok, that's great to know, many thanks! Hoping the price hasn't risen too much within the last year or two ;)

Thanks alot for all your valued help, Pipi!

All the best :)

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
919 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

Not at all and if you will need licensed guide, please send me message to the address:

prvi.pipi.duga.devetka@gmail.com

Regards!

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

Pipi, is it possible to buy tickets from Budapest to Sarajevo via the internet?

I tried to book the train from Budapest to Sarajevo, but according to DB BAHN, it's not bookable via the internet.

I tried also the website http://elvira.mav-start.hu, but no success either.

I'll travel this way on late july, do you think I can buy the tickets in Budapest only 2 or 3 days on advance? Where do I have to go to buy them? Déli Station or some office of the company in town?

Thanks a lot!

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Sarajevo to Budapest

''TeAmoCarol'' from my experience of many trips to Budapest and back to Sarajevo is never a problem of buying the ticket 2-3 days in advance. You should be able to buy it at any train station in Budapest or in some office they have in the city because is same company but if you want to be on safe side you buy it at Deli station for sure (I buy mine usually just an hour before leaving from Budapest).

You can do it 2-3 days in advance without any problems and I'm guessing you will use daily transportation ticket in Budapest so will not cost you really much and you will feel safer if you buy it directly from Deli 2-3 days before departure to Sarajevo.

Just make sure you enter into the train wagons which go to Sarajevo, is usually the ones at the beginning where is the locomotive. As most wagons only go to Pecs and few continue to Sarajevo. You also have a cheap supermarket at Deli station in case you forget to buy food for the trip (you need to walk a bit in platform 1 towards locomotive and on your left at some point you will see small fence gate, enter and then walk downstairs)

Usually also train to Sarajevo leaves from platform 1 (so far always when I was traveling) but just in case check it all when you are in Budapest as maybe they changed it.

Get answers to your questions about Sarajevo