We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

Clarkesville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

Hi Travelers

The Bride and I will be traveling to Bulgaria, Romania, and Moldova in the spring of next year -- for about 4 weeks. Our primary mode of transportation will be rented car and we will likely spend ninety percent of our time outside of the major cities and will avoid glitzy tourist spots. Just a few general questions: 1) What's a good entry and exit point (coming from the US)? 2) Any problems with driving a rented car into and out of these three countries? 3) I'll be doing a lot of research over the next 3 or 4 months but any ideas for itinerary would be greatly appreciated. I'm posting this in the forums for all three countries.

TIA John

Veliko Tarnovo...
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

Hi. If you decide to start your trip with Bulgaria the entry point should be Sofia airport. If you come by car from Romania the easiest entry point is through Russe - there is a bridge over the Danube river so you wouldn`t have to wait for ferries. The biggest problem you will face in Bulgaria while driving are the awful roads - many holes, many roads lack marking. You should consider paying extra for insurance of the rented car (if there is such option available). The best advice I can give you for your trip to Bulgaria is to come from june to september if you can so you could go to the seashore - there are some great beaches here and still many of them are not at all crowded and even unknown. As I see you like calm and non popular sites you should research the camp sites at black sea shore. Some of the best are Kara Dere, Irakli, Silistar but there are many other great beaches near big cities like Varna, you just have to ask the locals for the hidden gems.

Good luck and everything best !

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

Right now, for spring 2012, Sofia seems to be the cheapest place to fly into for all of South Central Europe (at least from the western USA).

And if you're going to be in that neighborhood, would you mind checking out Macedonia for me? Among the many different vacation options I'm thinking about for next year is a trip to Macedonia and Bulgaria. I've heard Macedonia is incredibly beautiful and is a "see by rental car only" destination, so if you could investigate this for me as part of your trip, I would appreciate. ;)

Edited: 27 November 2011, 18:25
Clarkesville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

DobRock and retrofuturist

Thanks for your suggestions. We're zeroing in on flying to Sofia, touring Bulgaria via rented car (round the country and returning to Sofia), train to Bucharest (and similar car rental around Romania). While touring around Romania we MAY leave the car in Lasi and take the train to Chisinau where we rent a car for 4 or 5 days to see some of Moldova. After returning the car in Chisinau we would train back to Lasi and continue the Romania tour to Bucharest. Plane home from Bucharest.

I know this is just a rough outline but...well...do you think it has possibilities?

No, retrofuturist, we have no knowledge of Macedonia although there may be a future trip to Macedonia, Yugoslavia, and Albania in the works.

Thanks for your help.

John

4. Re: Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2012, 17:16
Edited: 11 January 2012, 17:16
Clarkesville...
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

Wow, what an itinerary. This looks like something I saw once on a drive-yourself travel site. Anyhow, thanks for all the information.

John

6. Re: Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova -- one month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2012, 10:19