We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental company that will allow cross border?

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Topic
car rental company that will allow cross border?

Hi All,

does anybody know of any car rental companies in Bulgaria that will allow me to take the car into Greece, Macedonia and Serbia?

Any help much apprecaited

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

You could try economycarrentals.com or tstravel.net but I'm not too sure, it might be different since Bulgaria is part of eu to enter greece but I'm not too sure about Macedonia and Serbia.

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

Hey, cool, I will try them. Do you know the average price of a litre of fuel in Bulgaria?

Cheeers )

Kilmarnock, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

It's about 2.49lv for A95 (Unleaded) and 2.62 (diesel) you're getting about 2.35lv to the £ at the moment so it's a bit cheaper than the UK

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

Thanks for the info!! Your a star

sofia
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

it's about 2,63 A95 , and 2.68 for diesel. LPG is the best way to drive around as it is - 1,35 leva. Fuel prices in Bulgaria are the highest in Europe compared to standard of living, and riots are coming. You can get in Greece without problem, as the border for EU citizens has no control, or policemen. For Serbia you need only your I.D. card, but better take your passport with you too. I advise you not to visit Macedonia, because of the extremely bad infrastructure and people there are very mean to Bulgarians (or could wreck a car with BG registration plate), because of the huge anti-bulgarian propaganda there. (Macedonia was and is a cultural part and territory of Bulgaria, and was deprived by Yugoslavia after World War 2 ). So don't go to Macedonia if you drive a Bulgarian car.

Burgas, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bansko
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

Kiddah, you will need your passport for entering Serbia as there isn't a UK ID card... There have been some peaceful fuel protests here as in the Uk, but certainly no talk of Riots here!

I've driven in macedonia regularly and recently, with no problems and my vehicle is BG registered.

Bigger hire companies like Avis should let you take the car cross border(I hired from Avis in Romania and drove in Bulgaria and Turkey when my flight was diverted to Bucharest due to fog)but it is expensive

The fuel prices are correct also I don't know of any large car hire firm with cars running on LPG available, maybe the smaller ones would have some available

Edited: 21 March 2012, 08:07
liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

Hey,

so mixed opinion on Macedonia...im a risk taker...so i guess i'l go yasen! But Thanks for the advice tho, il be extra careful...i'l probably only stay 2 days...it will allow me to make a full round trip bulgaria-macedonia-serbia-romania and back to bulgaria.

The car situation is proving to be a sticking point, im surprised nmaoban regards the hire that you made...I find it extremely difficult here in the uk to get any cross border rentals with any of the big companies..they just dont seem to want to offer it (there are no options on their websites for cross border drop offs in eastern europe)...

However, one or two local companies I have contacted such as veger have said they will allow at an extra 120 eur per country..

liverpool
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

by the way nmaoban...did you do a one way drop off too? how much was the extra charge for that?

Burgas, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bansko
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

no I didn`t do a one way hire, it was Avis at Otopeni (Henri Coanda) airport in Bucharest, the manager did take a little persuasion as they have to give you the original registration documents to take with you, (also for Turkey I had to stop in Bulgaria and get a notorised translation of the documents).....they precharged my credit card, it was a large amount, cant remember how much but it was high.

it would probably be cheaper and easier overall to organise one way hires in each country, most firms will deliver to anywhere in the country so could meet you at the border crossing, and then you would have a local registered car each time and much easier time if you need the car replaced due to an accident or breakdown etc.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental company that will allow cross border?

Hi Kiddah,

I know I'm coming into this very late, but am planning what sounds like exactly the same trip and would be really interested to know if you did your trip and how you managed the car hire. The more research I do, the more complicated it seems to get.

Cheers