We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in March

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in March

help please!

we'll be staying at les fleurs hotel - is there a train (or tram)station nearby and, if so, does it run direct from the airport?

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in March

I was hoping someone from Sofia would respond..., as I only use cabs there and I'm hopeless in advising for buses.

The main railway station and the main bus station are approx.2km away from your hotel.

However, this does not serve you at all, as there are no trains or buses departing from there to the airport (no matter which terminal)

Perhaps you know but anyway I should point that the Sofia airport is not as far from the city as (for example) Milan or London airports are. From your hotel to the airport it's rather similar to distance from Manchester to Manchester airport.

There is no tram line to the airport. If you have tram stop near the hotel, for sure you should have at least 1 change- from the tram to bus line No. 84 or 284.

Subway line to the airport is also not available.

Here is info for the bus line serving the airport www.sofia-airport.bg/pages/content.aspx…

A cross over the attached map and a online map of your hotel it appears that the closest stops for you are at Orlov most (both No. 84 (from T1) and 284 (T2) stop there) or at Hilton hotel (No.84). However, it appears not a short distance for walking with baggage. The map is actually not very easy to follow up so I might be wrong- if so, I hope someone using buses will amend me.

Alternatively, you can book airport transfer by your hotel. It's worth if you have some special needs or you're bigger group of people and are offered not "per person" price. Otherwise this service is relatively expensive.

3rd option- a cab.

The prices recently changed so I'd give you up to date info of Sofia cab prices in 3 days as latest (I go to Sofia tomorrow).

I always use cab from/to Sofia airport, and I'm usually solo so I can state there are no concerns in safety if you go to the proper taxi company.

There are only 2 such companies legally allowed to serve the airport. Details on where you can find them at the airport, how to recognize them and what to beware of are available within few topics in this forum- make a TA search under (for example) "OK Supertrans"- it is the name of the legal company which is most frequently pointed in this forum.If you go for the cab option, you can use same company for the route hotel-airport: the reception staff will call them for you.

Will get back to you in few days

RF2
Dimitrovgrad
Level Contributor
389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in March

All taxi drivers in Bulgaria are required to put a sticker on the right rear window with all fees indicated there - initial fee, night fee, day fee, price per minute stay. Look at this sticker before you chose the taxi. Now, prices per km are 0,69 and 0,79 BGN. The distance from the airport to the city centre is about 10-12 km. Do the math and be smart.

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in March

RF2 was quicker :) Thank you :) These are the prices I paid recently.

Sample link to a recent similar topic- here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294452-i3713-k240…

manchester
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
635 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in March

thanks for the help so far.

one more thing, can somebody give me a general prices guideline on say a pint of beer and a meal for two, including wine. need an idea of how much money to bring.

RF2
Dimitrovgrad
Level Contributor
389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in March

Depends on the wine, depends on the beer, depends on how much you eat, depends on where. An average cost of 10 EUR must be enough for one-two hour visit at a food place.

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in March

Last week we spent about 25 Euro for 2 salads, 2 main dishes, 2 deserts, soft drinks. Worth to mention that food quantity was actually huge- about 400g per meal. It was in "Ugo" which is not considered as expensive place.

Have a look here http://sofia.zavedenia.com/uk/

Choose type of dining place from the left menu, then choose certain place- menu with price is available for some places, and for others- average cost per person is pointed.

Where menus are available but in Bulgarian, follow up the prices bearing in mind that the menus follow standard order, i.e. salads, cold/warm starters, main courses, etc.

7. Re: Weekend in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 11:17