We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

South West, UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

Hi,

My husband and I are flying in to Sofia, but want to get to the Black Sea Coast, prefreably Bourgas/Nessebar/Sunny Beach area. Does anyone have any good/bad comments about how to get there? Or does anyone know the best way, train or bus etc.Please bare in mind we will have a suitcase & bags etc.

All comments are welcome, and are gratefully received.

Thank you for your help!

Nuneaton, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

Easiest way of course would be to book a cheap internal flight from Sofia to Bourgas and then get a taxi ( preferably pre booked ) to Sunny Beach which is about 20 mins away.

Here is the link for flight details.

http://www.air.bg/en

Details of trains to Bourgas here.

http://www.bdz.bg/ EN for English

Toonman

North Wales
Destination Expert
for Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

We flew into Sofia last Summer and hired a car to get to Sunny Beach. We took 3days and travelled through the mountains visiting Rila Monestary and some of the ski resorts along the way. There is never a problem finding a hotel. You could also go east from Sofia and visit Veliko Tarnovo on your way to the Black Sea coast.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
15 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

Haya, if you are budget consious you might consider bus from Sofia to the sea-side. It is approximately 5 hours trip in a very reasonably comfortable coaches.The taxi fare from Sofia Airport to Sofia Central Bus Station is about 5 EUR per car, per way. Following is the Bus Station web site for rates, schedules and more info. Enjoy your stay in Bulgaria. (http://centralnaavtogara.bg/cbs/home.nsf/vPagesLookup/home~en?OpenDocument)

Bolton
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

I've taken the train from Sofia to Bourgas.

It's takes about 4 hours but is comfortable enough & pretty cheap. Roughly I'd say 20 euro return if memory serves me right.

Go into the Central Station and the booking office is downstairs.

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

4 hours Sofia to Bourgas with a train ?!! That sounds to me like a new speed record for the Bulgarian State Railways! As far as I know the shortest time in which they can make that route is just under 6 hours. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bolton
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

I was drinking so the time flew!

RF2
Dimitrovgrad
Level Contributor
389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

If you travel on Friday, you may try the new weekend train the railway company launched recently from Sofia to Burgas. It takes 5:42 hours to get to Burgas in a newly refurbished (practically new) wagons. Departure time is 15:00 and it stops only once, in Plovdiv.

Another nice train that is air-conditioned is the one departing at 6:30, daily.

If those are not time convenient, use a bus, a car or a plain.

Edited: 18 June 2010, 14:18
South West, UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

Thank you for everyone's help!! We got the coach in the end and went to Varna. It took about 7 and a half hours but got to see some of the countryside etc. It was 27lv each which wasn't too bad really. We went with Etap. I advise anyone doing this trip to make sure if you get off to use the loo, make sure one of your party stays on the bus. Our bus started to drive off with my husband still inside the building! Luckily a fellow passenger spoke english so we got the bus driver to stop, but a fairly nice journey really!

Rome, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

Hi ,

I'm booking online a rent car in Sofia Airport with destination Sunny Beach.

In the Contract general conditions, I see price does not include 100€ of oneway domestic tax Sofia /Bourgas.

Any idea what does it mean?

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Sofia to Bourgas/Sunny Beach

Maybe the tax they want to collect the car back to Sofia, if you drop-off somewhere else? If you provide the site, I may check the Bulgarian text

Get answers to your questions about Sofia