We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do in Sofia, how long to stay?

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
things to do in Sofia, how long to stay?

Hi,

I'll be with a group going to Koprivshtitsa festival this August. I'm thinking of getting to Sofia a day or two early and/or staying a day or two late. I'm going to ask the Sofia people I met 4 years ago if they want to meet up at some point and figure being around a few more days gives more chance they can.

When I'm not out for a drink w/ someone I know, what else is there in Sofia that I should check out?

Is the archaeology museum open for public? (it wasn't when I was there before). Are the mineral baths open? As in you can soak there or just for looking?

Other people were telling me of a fountain with drinkable water that I didn't see before. I think it's supposed to be near the baths/mosque area perhaps on the other side?

I know there's the ethnology museum and I'll check by the women selling stuff and flea market by the Cathedral... I take it the Jenski pazar is a different market? In which case I haven't been there yet. I'm not usually a shopper when I travel, but last time I was in Bulgaria I shopped a bit more that I usually would. Any resources to learn more about the embroidery?

Besides the obvious interest in traditional culture - music and dance, I'm interested in science, nature, how people live and adapt to changes (Bg has a lot of changes!), and I love Bulgarian food! I read cyrillic, studied Russian long ago and remember a little, will be learning some Bulgarian but obviously won't be fluent.

I'll stay at one of the central hostels. Any suggestions on what else I can do while I'm in Sofia? Would 2 days before and 2 days after being with the group be fun or too much?

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do in Sofia, how long to stay?

Hi there,

To start with the Archaeology Museum - Yes, it is open. You can check their site for mote info: www.naim.bg it has an English version as well.

As far as I know the mineral bath is not yet open. I think it will be turned into a museum as well. The fountains with the drinkable mineral water are very close to the bath - when facing its main entrance, head left to the street whete the trams go, cross it - and you will see them /in fact there are some.

The Jenski pazar is different from the one by the Cathedral. Jenski pazar is more like a real flea-market, much bigger and bussier. Be careful of pick-pockers! The Jenski pazar is just 15 min walk from the mineral water fountains mentoined above.

You can aslo consider a visit to the National History Museum and the Boyana Church.

2. Re: things to do in Sofia, how long to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 05:17