We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in restaurants

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
5 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in restaurants

**Call 02 832 7111 to report restaurants and other businesses breaking the new law banning smoking indoors.**

I speak as a reformed smoker (the worst complainers of course), but I do want to do whatever I can to support the implementation of the new law that bans smoking indoors. Having put up with (and I admit, contributed to) the smog in the past and gone home with stinky clothes, it is such a relief to go into 99% of places that now uphold the ban.

However, there are still some restaurants that seem determined to ignore the law. I found myself in one yesterday. After speaking with the waiter (who said that he didn't care about the new law), we just put the menu down and walked out.

This morning I went to HAI to complain. The lady at HAI (office on the 2nd floor) was very helpful and wrote down the details of the complaint. She told me that somebody will go to visit/inspect the restaurant in the next few days and that I should expect a call in a week or so to let me know what happened as a result of my complaint. Unfortunately, they can take no action unless one of their own inspectors sees somebody smoking, a public report is not enough. However, if they do find restaurants breaking the law, they have the power to impose quite strict fines.

The telephone number for reporting restaurants (and any other business) that breaks the smoking ban is: 02 832 7111.

London, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in restaurants

Soon there will be many fewer restaurants and bars in Sofia, thanks to the smoking ban.

Mentioned in this post
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
5 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in restaurants

Well, that would be no bad thing, the majority of restaurants in Sofia are medioocre (at best) or very poor. And if being able to smoke is a key consideration in choice of restuarant for some people, then I think the quality of surviving restaurants will only improve if the smokers stay at home!

Get over it and behave responsibly, the rest of the world is managing to cope!

Mentioned in this post
Sofia
Sofia
Sofia Region, Bulgaria
3. Re: Smoking in restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 07:17