We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
157 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

My adult son, husband and I are planning a holiday in Croatia during the Christmas period, for about 10 days. We will fly in and out of Zagreb. Initially I was looking at renting a car to move around but then we drive on the left and it is right-hand drive in Croatia I believe, so maybe it will not be wise. I have some questions and I would really appreciate some input;

1. can we cover Zagreb-Plitvice-Zadar-Split-Dubrovnik in 10 days? I think it'll be too tight, which to omit?

2. what is the best way to go from one place to another, if we do not rent a car?

3. should we hire a guide in the cities to take us round? Or maybe join a tour?

We like the outdoor and history, we are looking forward to taking in the beautiful scenery, and food and wine of course.

Thank you for any suggestions/recommendations you may have, much appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

Despite your reservations about driving on the right, I strongly suggest to hire a car. Then you would have no problem doing all the things you plan doing.

Next thing I suggest is to drive to Dubrovnik and fly from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, rather than drive back on the same road.

Driving in Croatia is relatively easy. Roads are quite good and traffic will be fine when you are there.

If you still don't want to hire a car, bus is your best option.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

thanks for your reply. i am still hesitant about driving on 'the other side of the road'! Not quite sure if we should hire a car and driver instead. We will however, end our stay in Dubrovnik and fly back to Zagreb to catch our flight out of Croatia.

For now, am thinking of the following;

zagreb 3 nights

zadar 1 night

split 2 nights

dubrovnik 3 nights

we can do plitvice lakes and krka national parks as day trips from either zadar or split i guess.

is this doable?

would really appreciate any input/comments. much thanks

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

Plitvice anf Krka not as daytrips but on travel days.

You start from Zagreb in the morning, come to Plitvice, spend the day, continue to Zadar to sleep.

Also, then you start from Zadar, come to Krka and continue to Split to sleep.

All you listed is doable, maybe a day too much for Zagreb. And all perfectly doable with buses if you are on budget.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,391 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

Agree with Danchee's advise.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,169 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

Zagreb is very small airport.

And do drive.

We often drive in Great Btitain, New Zealand, .... The adjustment is very easy.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
157 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec

Thank you all for the replies. We are not really on a budget and now I am again considering renting a car, to drive from one town to the other since you said it's not difficult to adjust. Driving In winter too is alright?

Is my split of 3 nights Zagreb, 1 zadar, 2 split and 3 Dubrovnik a good plan? Once again, thanks for your help

Reply to: Getting around 10 days tour in Dec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted