We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost and Currency

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Cost and Currency

Thinking of Traveling to Croatia in the spring 2008 and trying to figure cost out.

Since I am from the US i am wondering if they use the Kuna or the Euro - i know they haven't change the currency but every price list i see is quoted in Euros.

If anybody knows I would love to know If go to buy a bottle of water will they ask for euros or kuna?

for dinner if i pay by credit card will i be charge in kuna or euros and are the prices on the meno in euros or kuna?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost and Currency

They use the kuna in Croatia. I think there are places that you can use Euros, but it is much more convenient to just get the kuna out of the ATMS and be done with it. As I have stated before-some places will accept Euro, but ALL places will accept kuna. So without a doubt, get kunas. And if you are thinking of going to Croatia, just go ahead and do it- you will not be disappointed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost and Currency

Hi Sailor,

We went to Croatia in May and used kuna. The prices are really quite inexpensive. We bought beer and wine in the supermarkets, also from the local corner stores. A 2 litre bottle of beer was (AUD) $2.40.

We went to the ATMs and withdrew our funds from them, didn't bother to take any local money with us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost and Currency

Just in addition to the comments already made, don't rely overly on your credit card. Most of Croatia is a cash society and credit cards are viewed with horror by most restaurants. Plenty of ATMs though so you won't be caught short. And, yes, you will have the most brilliant time.

Level Contributor
124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost and Currency

If you do use credit card for hotels, etc. check with your credit card some have a 5% surcharge when using out of US. As mentioned above use kuna. The bonus of using cash is some hotels will give discount if you use cash. I usually get my tickets through Panadriatic or Travel time. It's always been cheaper than travelocity or kayak search engines.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost and Currency

Hi Saylor,

I'm from Croatia, so I will gladly give you some tips about our currency. Everything in Croatia you pay in kunas (1 USD - 5,18 kunas). The exeptions are some hotels where you can also pay in euro. But, it's NOT true - like someone said - that we pay everything in cash. Every restautant, hotel, store (even street market in Zagreb) excepts all the major credit cards (Mastercard, Amex, Visa, Diners...)

So, if you go to buy a bottle of water - you will pay in kunas. (and that costs 3- 5 kuna).

6. Re: Cost and Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 11:19