We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovinj or Hvar

London, England
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rovinj or Hvar

i was just about to book a week in Rovinj but then was told about Hvar. After looking more into it I know it's a contrast to Rovinj but Hvar looks amazing. My girlfriend and I want to go to nice beaches, eat and drink and just chill out really so thought Hvar might suit us better.

The one problem is that I can get a cheap flight to Pula but am I right in saying Split or Zagreb are the best airports for Hvar ? Also is it more expensive in Hvar than Rovinj, what sort of prices is it to eat out in good standard places.

Really can't make our minds up we only have a weeks holiday think i could spend a month in Croatia to see all the areas I want to see.

Grateful for some advice

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovinj or Hvar

OK - best if you use "easyjet" to Split from Gatwick and other airports (I think) - best airport to Hvar is Split - I am from the UK and check prices all the time so if if I get a "last minute emergency" I can fly from Korcula to the UK. This is the cheapest airline I have found at the moment to/from UK from Croatia.

You can also get cheap flights with thomson.fly to Dubrovnik from Gatwick and Manchester (then transfer by ferry to Hvar)

Pula is in the north of Croatia so you would have to either spend time on buses or ferry to get to Hvar - long way if you only have one week !!

From Split you can get ferries/catamarans from Split centre (where airport bus will drop you off) to Hvar

Hvar is more expensive than any other island due to it's fame for big nightclubs etc so expect to pay more for accommodation, meals and drinks etc in Hvar during season

Have not yet been to Zagreb but only know it as a "central city" not as a tourist place !

Split is OK for a day or short visit but the centre of Split you can see in less than half a day - better to go outside of Split

If you PM me I will send you sites for Hvar etc if you wish to stay there - if not I have other sites you can log into to decide where you want to be for one week

Have a great holiday here no matter where you go !!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovinj or Hvar

I agree with the previous reply but Hvar is only as dear as you want to make it and even tho we used the 'Aussie Peso'we did not find it dear so the English pound will be better by far.

Send me an email by T/A message link and will send an analysis of both places....to big for this site to log.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovinj or Hvar

One week is not too much neither for Istria nor for Hvar +some other island and Split.

But, both in one week would be too exhausting.

As for the prices you can find the very expensive places to stay and to drink and eat in Rovinj and in Hvar as well.

Brač is not only Bol town,

Hvar is not only Hvar town,

Korčula is not only Korčula town etc.

Just make few steps away from the famous places, and nothing will be too expensive.

The same as drinking coffee on St.Marco square in Venezia , go 3 streets farther and you will pay less.

4. Re: Rovinj or Hvar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 20:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor