We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information

ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Information

I am planning a holiday to Croatia with my friends in May/June and we are lookin for information on Croatia,

We dont know where would be best to stay, there are 4 of us and are looking for somewhere with good bars and restaurants but not to lively,

we would like to be near the beach.

Would May/June be a good time to travel would it be very hot

Thanks for your help

Karen

Croatia
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Information

I think Zadar will be very good choice for you. First, there are cheep flights from Dublin to Zadar. Zadar is very beautifull and historical town, many things to see, fine restorants and town is by the sea.

ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information

Thanks for your help

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,112 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information

I think somewhere like Hvar island would be good - flying into Split. I have been in May and been very hot, but I have been in May and had rain. It will definitely be warmer than Ireland/UK. The further south, the warmer it will be.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Information

Hi I traveled with four friends a few years back, we were in our mid twenties this is an email I did when I got back for someone else, it may give you a few ideas.

When you arrive at Dubrovnik Airport you will find buses outside the front door (Atlas travel) these will bring you to just outside the old town entrance in Dubrovnik. I would check where to get the return bus to the airport from when you get off the bus we didn’t and went out to the bus station and found that there was no local buses going out there so we ended up getting a taxi (€21 approx). if you don’t have accommodation booked in advance don’t worry there will be a load of women offering rooms for rent.

Try and stay either in the old town or just outside the old town, don’t go to Gruz or Lapad these area’s just aren’t as pretty.

What we did is we stayed the first night in Dubrovnik and got the 9.00 am bus up the coast to Brela, this is a fairly quite seaside town but very pretty not a lot of night life but loads of restaurants. There is a town just before this called Makarska this is much bigger and from here you can get a ferry to the island of Brac (pronounced Bratch). This will bring you to the harbour of Sumartin and from there you can get a bus to the resort of Bol (really recommended). This is were you will find the fab Zlatni Rat beach. If you do go here and want to visit this beach you can get a small road train up to the beach for 5 Kuna.

When we were here we hired a small motor boat for the day and brought it up along the coast. We had never drove one before but they show you everything you need to know and you can find little beaches all to yourself

There is a cocktail bar called Varadera (I think that is how you spell it) this is where most of the nightlife is. You can’t miss it, it has lovely wicker chairs and palm umbrella’s. the music usually gets good around 12.15 and it is completely outdoor.

When you leave here to head back to sumartin to catch the ferry we were told that there was no bus until 4.30 but there actually was one in time for the ferry. We are not sure if the tourist agency was running the taxi service or if it was a genuine mistake.

If you don’t want to head back to the mainland I am nearly sure you can catch a ferry to another one of the islands Hvar (according to a few Welch lads we met it is lovely but full of quite wealty people) or to the island of Korcula. Just be careful it you want to go to one of these islands as the ferries only run on certain days. Some of the travel agencies here arrange tours to these islands and it they have spaces will allow you to book a one way trip

We spent our last few days in Dubrovnik which I would recommend as this means you can relax for the last few days and means you don’t spend your last day travelling to the airport.

When you are in Dubrovnik I would recommend visiting the island of Lokrum for a day trip. It only takes around 15 minutes by boat and you can catch this from the old town harbour. It is a nature reserve and there are loads of peacocks running around. You can also go swimming here. You just climb down onto rocks and then you can get into the sea. There is also a lagoon in here which we didn’t find until the end but this is easier to get into if you fancy a swim.

Another island is Mjlet which is a national park. You can catch a hydrofoil from the main harbour in Gruz, this only leaves at 9.00 in the morning and returns at 6.30 in the evening. If you do go here make sure you get your ticket to the harbour of Ploce as the other harbour Sobre is on the other side of the island. We would have liked to spent the night here we couldn’t get a bus back in time to meet the ferry over but there is no problem getting accommodation as there are people offering rooms when you arrive.

If you do decide to stay here I would recommend that you do it early on before you travel up the coast as it unlikely that you would make it back down the coast in time to catch the ferry over.

Another trip even if only for a few hours is to the town of Cavtat just down the way from Dubrovnik you can travel either by bus or as I did catch a boat over, the boat is quicker and much more interesting as you can see a lot of hotels and buildings that were bomb damaged during the war.

You catch the boat from the old town harbour, there is a few different companies operating this route.

In Dubrovnik old town most of the bars close at 12.00 apart from the irish bar which closes at 2.00 and it the main hive of activity

You can find this easily enough and anybody you ask will tell you where it is.

Basically you walk down the main street till you are almost at the end and if you look down the side streets to your right you will see a Guinness sign.

You should also walk the town walls, it takes around 90 minutes but well worth it but do it late in the evening around 5.30 as it is very hot otherwise the entrance is just inside the old town on your left hand side

There is also a really nice restaurant called Arka (this was were we had out nicest meal) if you walk to the end of the old town and turn right as St Blaize’s church you will enter a square area go right again and you will find a large open square and if you look in front of you there should be steep steps and the restaurant is just in front of these on the right

Croatia is an amazing place and you will have a ball. The Croatians are the nicest people you will ever meet.

One final thing if you are getting the bus up the coast towards the Split direction ensure that you carry your passport in your hand luggage as you cross over the boarder into Bosnia and the police will get on the bus to check passports.

5. Re: Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 20:20