We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to plan Croatia trip please

London, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help to plan Croatia trip please

I am planning a two-week trip in Croatia this summer and will be flying in and out of Dubrovnik.

I do not wish to go island hopping as such, but would rather stay in few places and take trips from there.

My initial plan was to stay in Dubrovnik for 5 nights, then go to one or two of the islands for 6 nights and return to Dubrovnik for one final night.

I was looking at staying on Korcula for a good few nights - even maybe all 6 nights, but am not sure if there is enough to do there. I like to have activities such as bike riding and walking trails.

I'd be really grateful if people could give me some advice on how long it is recommended to stay on the islands and what islands you reckon will be the bettere choices.

While in Dubrovnik, we are planning to do several day trips - would 5 nights there be too much?

Many thanks in advance.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

With day trips, 5 days won't be too long, but note that it can be more expensive for lodging in Dubrovnik.

You can visit Kotor, Montenegro; Mostar, Bosnia; the

Elafiti islands and or Mljet; and more.

You are right there isn't a ton to do on Korcula, but you could make day trips to the mainland from there if you rent a car. You could also continue on over to Lastovo (from Vela Luka on Korcula).

What month?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,522 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

I love Korcula, but maybe six nights might be a bit too much there. How about the five nights with daytrips out of Dubrovnik, then take the bus to Split and spend the remainder of your time on Hvar?

London, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

Thanks for your advice. How easy is it to make your way from Dubrovnik to Split via the islands?

Split
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

Well that depends on the days and island.

On this site www.jadrolinija.hr you can see ferry ports and schedule.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

What time is your return flight out of Dubrovnik? Keep in mind the traveling distance from Korcula as you may need to one overnight before your return flight in Dubrovnik. Agreed that five nights is not too much with all the day trips in Dubrovnik but six nights in Korcula I think is too long. Maybe worth going to Hvar for three nights after Dubrovnik and then backtracking to Dubronvik with a stop in Korcula for three nights. This could only work with an afternoon or evening flight home from Dubrovnik.

London, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

I haven't actually booked flights yet, but just thought that would be the easiest option as Dubrovnik is my priority. However, I am starting to think I should maybe fly into Dubrovnik, work my way up to Split (via Korcula) and then return from Split. Does that sound a better idea?

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

I think flying out Split is a better option especally if you include Hvar but again this depends on flight times. Your flight deparutre out of Split has to be late enough in the morning to coincide with the earliest catamaran departures to Split to allow yourself enough time to get to the airport.

London, UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

Ok, thanks so much for your advice. I think I'll have to study some ferry schedules! Are the ferries pricey?

Thanks again - I really appreciate you help.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

I think you will find the ferries in Croatia to be quite reasonable

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help to plan Croatia trip please

Hi

Makarska is also a good place to consider as it's quite central on the coast - almost in the middle of Split and Dubrovnik. You can get the buses to each of the towns from here almost every half hour and really cheap. Boat trips go daily to the islands as well...