We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungary/Croatia Vacation by car...

New Jersey
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hungary/Croatia Vacation by car...

Planning a two week trip to Croatia and Budapest. Best airfare that I can find is to Budapest. Is it better to take rail to Zagreb and then rent a car to tour Croatia including Dubvronik Split and possibly Bled in SLovenia....or just rent a car in Budapest and drive all the way. Plan only four days in Budapest visiting relatives and then head for Croatia for a free lance driving vacation. Any thougts....?? Couldn't find any cost effective Croatian tour groups .... My vaction would be Sept 21 to October 9th..... or can go October 17th to Nov 3.... what do I lose in weather and temperature conditons by going later...

tks...all.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungary/Croatia Vacation by car...

Hi,

Personally, I'd choose the earlier time period to be more sure of good weather.

You are talking about driving some long distances. It is about 7-8 hours non-stop between Budapest and Split. It is about 500-600 miles between Bled and Dubrovnik. It is probably cheaper to rent in one country. Also, automatic transmission cars are much more expensive than manual transmission. And beware of the insurance fine print.

You could consider flying from Budapest to Split with Malev Hungarian airlines. They fly 5 days/week except Tue and Wed. This takes out a big chunk of driving time and you could rent your car in Split to explore the area and head down to Dubrovnik.

Hope this helps

Mutiny

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungary/Croatia Vacation by car...

Agree with Mutiny on all - definitely look into Malev schedules (I am not sure how often they fly out of main season, though)

Train ride from Budapest to Zagreb is about 6 hours and then another 3-4 hours to Split

3. Re: Hungary/Croatia Vacation by car...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 07:20