We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porec or Rovinj

Notts
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Porec or Rovinj

Hi, we (myself, hubby and children 16 and 11) are trying to book our hols for next summer. We are spending a week at Lake Bled (Slovenia) and then plan to stay in Croatia for a week.

The problem is everywhere sounds so great and looks so beautiful! We've now narrowed it down to somewhere around Porec and Rovinj but can't make our minds up.

We like somewhere that's not too packed but since we're limited to school hols we know this is not to likely as it will be the busiest week (1st in Aug). We like to be active but not to extreme - visiting the local places of interest, bike rides, walks, boat trips, kayaking. My oldest daughter also loves to sunbath.

If any of you can offer any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Welcome to the Croatia forum!

I would personally choose Rovinj over Porec but there is not a great deal of difference, both places are really nice. I think Rovinj is prettier than Porec but it is going to be busy in August as this is most busiest time of the year.

Lake Bled is a excellent choice as well. I have stayed in Bled for a week, there are plenty of things to see and do.

Bled is quite small but very pretty with dramatic mountains and a small island with a church in the middle of the lake. We visited the small island in the centre of the lake on a traditional pletne (similar to a gondola) which is a excellent way to see the island and admire the lovely views. It is also possible to rent your own boat. Bled castle is also worth a visit, as you are high above the lake the views are outstanding. It is very pleasant to walk around the lake and enjoy the views.

During our stay in Bled we visited the following places :-

Ljubljana - We caught the bus from Bled station, journey takes approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. The buses ran approximately every hour. Thought Ljubljana was very pretty, lovely castle with plenty of canals and bridges, definitely worth a visit.

Lake Bohinj, this was probably one of our favourite places to visit. We caught the bus again, journey time around 45 min -1hr. Bled is very pretty but Bohinj is stunning. The scenery literally took my breath away and is probably the prettiest place I have ever visited. There is not a great deal of shops, restaurants etc as the centre is small but the lake is a much bigger than Bled. We walked around Lake Bohinj and it took us over 4 hours. The last part of the walk goes through a forest, we had to stop walking at one stage because a cow was on the footpath! Make sure you have good walking shoes and plenty of water. Can also visit Mount Vogel by cable car but I would choose a clear day to see the outstanding views.

Vintar Gorge - Approximately 4 km north-west of Bled. Through The 1.6km gorge carves its way through the vertical rocks with lots of waterfalls, pools and rapids. I thought the Vintar Gorge was pretty but after visiting the stunning Lake Bohinj the previous day was a little disappointed, perhaps I set me expectations too high. Just a note the Plitvice Lakes are a lot nicer than the Vintar Gorge, you could visit them on a full day trip from Istria.

May be interested in my Plitvice Lake photographs (July 2009) on the following link :-

…google.com/Welshtraveller111/…

Have a fantastic time, if you have further questions contact me & I will try to help if I can.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
38,261 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Another vote for Rovinj but either would be fine.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porec or Rovinj

We loved Rovinj. We did not go to Porec because we read some things in travel books that made us decide that Rovinj suited our wants better. Plenty of places to go walking both in the city and outside along the park. I will NEVER forget one evening eating at a marvelous restaurant (would have to look up the name) out on their balcony. Hubby and I watched a thuderstorm coming in and THEN it struck! The people at the restaurant got us inside and then husband went and got his mini van to take us back to our hotel because they were worried about tiles still coming down off the roofs (still very windy). Hubby and I were rather white knuckle as the dear man whizzed through the narrow street bringing us back to our hotel. SUCH great people to be so worried about us and our well being.

Notts
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Thanks to all for the help.

Welsh traveller your photos of Plitvice Lake are fantastic, they were already on the list of things to do but will definately make sure we go. Do you know if you can swim there?

I'm still not sure if we'll go for Porec or Rovinj we might just go with wherever we find the most suitable accommodation. We have a car for the 2 weeks so will visit both anyway.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,293 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Hi again,

Have a look at the following link, swimming in the lakes is not allowed :-

croatiatraveller.com/Heritage_Sites/Plitvice…

Just a few additional tips for you. Visit early in the morning or later in the day, always busier in late morning / early afternoon. Also better for photography. Weather is very temperamental, can be surprisingly cool in summer, can never tell. We had constant sunshine during our visit to Plitvice Lakes (late June) but there was heavy rain when travelling from Plitvice back to the coast. Have a fantastic time!

croatia
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Porec or Rovinj

I would definitely choose Rovinj!

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Another vote for Rovinj

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Looks like a ful house for Rovinj!

Rovinj is much prettier than Porec which can easily be explored in one day.

Book a hotel in Rovinj and catch a bus one day to Porec.

On the return journey say a big thank you to all the TA types who told you to stay in Rovinj!!

Notts
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Just thought I'd let you know we've found a great apartment in Rovinj.

Thanks for all your advice. Really looking forward to next years holiday.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Porec or Rovinj

Both are to see...even if I prefer Rovinj.