We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Chicago
2 posts
Save Topic
Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

I'm in an MBA program and am looking to organize a pre-orientation trip with 20 incoming students.

We've narrowed it down to Croatia and Sicily and am looking for input on which would better suit our group.

Here's what we're looking to do:

1) Week trip at end of August

2) $2,300 budget per person

3) Looking for a good mix of adventure (rafting/kayaking/hiking), nightlife and a one day service activity

4) Minimize travel between destinations (would like to avoid tour buses!)

Any insight that would help us choose between the two destinations is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

peak holiday time for both places so costs high and accommodation busier... Croatia is cheaper but you will need to be organised to get about and to search your options.

You will have to decide (if its Croatia) where entry and exit is.....First thoughts are to come in either to Dubrovnik and exit maybe Zagreb...Venice....Lujuljana..... or vice versa

Bed in the direction and come back for ideas.

...........now Vaga will get onto this and tempt you with Sicily ???

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

crikey....bad spelling blues for a Uni employee....I meant Ljubljana in Slovenia which is sensational for students....smallest best capital in Europe and the country is a joy to visit......

PM me if you want travel spiels on any of the options.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,276 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Welcome to Sicily via Croatia MBATraveller2010 – You may not recognize it, but your preference is clear since you posted on the Croatia forums.

And though maugrass probably expects me to tempt you with Sicily, my first inclination was to suggest Croatia – It would probably be less expensive for your group.

August is peak season in Sicily when all Italians holiday. It’s also brutally hot.

Taormina and Palermo enjoy active nightlife – Taormina is Sicily’s chicest, but most expensive resort. Palermo would be very, very hot in August.

Sicily offers excellent public transport, especially travel by bus, and transport by bus is reasonably priced.

Trekking Mount Etna, the Madonie, the Zingaro Reserve, the volcano on Stromboli doesn’t get better than what Sicily has to offer. There’s hiking Pantalica, Cava D'Ispica, and rafting Gole Dell'alcantara and Cave Grande del Cassibile.

One day service activity? What did you have in mind?

Vagabonda

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,191 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Go to Croatia....you will be pleasantly surprised!

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Croatia and Sicily are two different things: Croatia is a state and Sicily is a region. Both are beautiful. It depends on what would you like to see most. Maybe for the group trips Croatia would be a better option. One week is not enough to see it. In one week you can only:

1. choose one place and stay there

2. visit Dalmatia

3. or visit Istria

I'm not zn experto of Sicily but the persons I know usually go there for one week of sea life and relax.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,276 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Sicily offers much more than just sea life and relaxation - It's ruins and historic sites are phenomenal!

Sicily:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sicily/

fodors.com/world/…listings_nam_20001.html

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/sicily

Photos!

trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Italy/Sicily/

Vagabonda

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

If interested in Croatia, then you should focus on the coastal region and even consider a cruise!

But to organize this, you are on a wrong place. Find local agents in both Sicily and Croatia and see what they offer you. I have done it in Croatia for my friends (smaller group) and business partners (about 15 people) and had a terrific time. PM for details.

Chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread--Croatia it is! We're constructing an itinerary based on activities. Your input made this decision between two paradises a little easier!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,276 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

Croatia was the better choice for your group - Enjoy!

Vagabonda

10. Re: Croatia or Sicily with 25 MBA students?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2010, 05:18