We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap car rental and Split-Sarajevo-Mostar-Dubrovnik route

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap car rental and Split-Sarajevo-Mostar-Dubrovnik route

We are going to Croatia in late May and want to rent a car in Split and drive to Dubrovnik, with a detour through Sarajevo and Mostar. Is it difficult to find car rental company that allows this route? And what would be degree of difficulty? Any information appreciated!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap car rental and Split-Sarajevo-Mostar-Dubrovnik route

You DO need to make sure you get a car that has the right papers to go into Bosnia and Herzegovina...but it's otherwise not a big deal. There's probably no extra cost. I rented through Auto Europe (Sixt) last fall, picking up in Zagreb and returning in Dubrovnik with a detour through Mostar. I forgot to ask for a car to go to BiH - lucky for me the car they had (the last one) had the right papers! Otherwise I would have been screwed, since you have to drive through BiH to get from Zagreb to Dubrovnik...

If you've got an American passport, it's no big deal crossing borders between Croatia and BiH - usually just a wave through.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
110 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap car rental and Split-Sarajevo-Mostar-Dubrovnik route

Appreciate the info, especially regarding auto papers. Hoping its not too frantic near the bigger cities. We have driven much of Europe, but try to avoid major burgs. Heard Sarajevo was worth seeing - correct?? Thanks again.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap car rental and Split-Sarajevo-Mostar-Dubrovnik route

I've used this one once.

http://www.hertz.hr/

4. Re: Cheap car rental and Split-Sarajevo-Mostar-Dubrovnik route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2010, 05:17