We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

We will be coming from Rome and leaving for Paris.

Where would you start and spend most of your time? Would you start In Zagreb and work your way down to Dubrovnik or would you spend most of your time in the Islands and include Split and Dubrovnik?

Brela and Cavtat both sound beautiful - as does a trip to Montenegro.

Previous memorable holidays included at least 4 nights on an island before moving on to the next. We love to really relax and get to know a place before moving on and prefer to rent scooters and rely on public transport than hire a car. We also love more b&b accommodation than luxury hotels- love the village feel rather than resorts.

I guess I am asking - if you had nearly 3 weeks in croatia how would you design a relaxing holiday?

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

What a difficult task - a dream holidays?!

I would suggest you fly into Dubrovnik and fly out from Zagreb.

Mind you that dream holidays in Croatia are not possible without renting a car, perhaps not all the way throughout your journey, but in most of the parts you would miss the best parts and places that you are dreaming about if without the car.

So here's my suggestion:

Fly into Dubrovnik, stay 5 days. While here you can do 2 day excursions, 1 to Mostar (stopping by village-UNESCO listed site of Pocitelj) and 1 to Montenegro.

Rent a car, drive to Peljesac, visit the penninsula's oyster farming and wine roads, continue to Korcula.

From Korcula continue to Hvar and from Hvar to Split. Stay 3 days as the city has a vibrant energy, and from Split explore Trogir.

Continue north to Sibenik for visit and lunch (on the way stop in Omis and visit the National Park Krka)

From here go to Zadar. Stay 2 nights, visit the city and National Park Kornati as a day excursion.

Continue north to National Park Plitvicka Jezera. Stay overnight, drive to Zagreb (on the way MUST stop in the charming village of Rastoke by Slunj).

Once in Zagreb, stay 3 nights, visit the nearby continental hot spots such as castle Trakoscan and the villages of Zagorje (including Kumrovec a brith place of Marshall Tito) and the baroque city of Varazdin.

After seeing both aspects of Croatia (continental and the coastal) you can throughly say you have seen Croatia.

Also, depending of your timing and the flight, you could also consider visiting Slovenia which is very near from Zagreb (Ljubljana the capital just 150km) or you could as well add to explore Istria.

At last but not least, please take your 3 weeks holidays either in June or September, if you wish to enjoy the swimming in Adriatic.

Happy travel

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
35,644 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

I like most of what was suggested to you...but Tihi33, how do you stop in Omis on the way to Sibenik? Do you mean Trogir? I like the idea of staying in Dubrovnik for five days and stopping in Korcula and Hvar.. I do think its great to get a taste of what the islands have to offer. I am not sure I would spend three days in Split though, I would much rather spend some time in a smaller, quieter place like Trogir or maybe save some of those days for getting up to a place like Rovinj in Istria. I do like the idea of Zagreb, but three nights there might be a bit too much. Have a great trip and luck you having three weeks there!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

That's right Barry - I meant Trogir thanks for correction, As to Zagreb, how do you get to see Zagorje and Varazdin if not in 3 days? Anyhow I think we should all elaborate this dream holidays by for example providing info on small charming places on the coast..

btw my dream holidays few years ago included trip by Marco Polo from Rijeka to Dubrovnik, stopping by the islands..it was not expensive and was excellent experience!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the island of Mljet - if possible it is also a must, another beautiful National Park..well there we go, hope you will enjoy it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

Thankyou both so much for your input.

Sometimes half the battle is deciding where to start and the correct order of things.

Im glad you included Mljet as I have been reading good things about this island - have also read good things about Vis..

Just so much to see but I want to try and settle in a few places rather than continually travelling - so I will let you know how I get on and will no doubt have a few more questions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

Oh and forgot to mention we will be coming in early September :)

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

Vis is great and I would recommend it. I also like the challenge of not using a car - it isn't a holiday to me if I'm constantly driving ,and particularly if you go in the season there are lots of ferries and lots of buses to lots of places. If you do get to Vis, then you would be able to get around on buses and scooters (and bicycles).

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
690 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

Totti, you are most welcome, once you have your plan little more clear you can always ask more advises, happy to help you!

8. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 07:05
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

Grof -Are you kidding! 'all day excercise' and 'military drills' for a holiday!!!!!

Thanks but no thanks - thats not my kind of holiday.

My husband is bad enough - he turns into my own personal trainer whenever we go away - he insist on hiking up every mule track, gorge or mountain he can possibly find -thankfully he at least gives us a rundown on the calories burned over a nice bottle of wine or 2 at the end of the day.

Somehow I cant imagine Kreso allowing that in his organic 'diet routine'.

Good ad though;) dont think it will last...

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 weeks in croatia - what would be your dream itinerary?

This is verydifficult to answer because it depends on what one like most, is it walking, sightseeing, taking sun or going around. Anyway in 3 weeks you can dedicate one week for Zagreb Plitvice and Istria, the other one to the Dalmatian coast and the last one to the islands.