We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

After reading the suggestions on the forum and looking through a guidebook. I think I narrowed down where to go? We will be in Croatia for 7.5 days.

We were thinking of: Split, Sibenik, Trogir, Bol, Hvar, Korcula, and Dubrovnik. First of all I don't know if I picked too many places and should downsize? Next, I was thinking of only basing ourselves in 2 cities, but now it looks like there would be 3 to cut down on time and convenience. Since it looks like Split and Dubrovnik is 4 hours or more apart. I was thinking of staying 2.5 days Split (side trips to Sibenik & Trogir) then a town in the middle...like Bol or Hvar. However, I am confused if you can get to Bol from Hvar? Then ending the trip in Dubrovnik with a side trip to Korcula (if that is even possible).

How would you do this??? I am SO confused! Plus I am not sure if I need a car for this or if I can do it by car and ferry.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

With that little time I think two places is plenty. I would look into flying to Split and maybe flying out of Dubrovnik. From Split you could take a day trip out to Hvar or Bol on Brac and you could also get to Trogir from there. I think you could get by using the bus from Split to Dubrovnik and then spend the remainder of your time there with maybe day trips to places such as Kotor or some of the nearby islands.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

In one week is very difficult to see all this places. It's possible, but you're gonna have to run. Dubrovnik needs a few days at least. Maybe you should leave the islands for another time and do only some towns on the coast.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

How about this instead? I slimmed it down.

2.5 days Split

2 days Hvar

3 days Dubrovnik

PS...In Rick Steve's book Hvar seems like a party town. Is this correct? If not, what is Hvar like? I am 37 years old and traveling with my fiance' I am not into clubbing and partying at all. I like a bottle of wine and a few snacks on the balcony late at night vs a loud party scene.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

Just walk away along the sea from the centre and you will find many quiet areas in Hvar. It is really not correct to call Hvar a party town, just because of several bars open all night and really very good for the ones who like it, there are so many things to enjoy here, arts,old architecture, tiny islands in front of Hvar town. There are Stari Grad, Jelsa and Vrboska towns quieter than Hvar.

You can make Bol as a day trip by organized tours from Hvar or by regular catamaran line from Jelsa.

From Split you have to visit Trogir, there will be boats in high season.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

I agree with Jelsa. Also I'm not sure when you are going which impacts on the party nature of Hvar Town - July and August are the party months.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

We will be there the 1st or 2nd week in July.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
40,170 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

Go to Bol on Brac if you are worried about the party nature of Hvar.

8. Re: Need help with basic planning...any advice appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:19