We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter travelling

sydney australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
winter travelling

I want to visit Dubrovnic, Split and Zagreb in January 2011 and am interested to find out the best way of getting about, bus or train, and the difficulty of getting to each site, I would like to visit the Plitvice lake area as well, is this possible in the winter? And any hints on reasonable accommodation.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter travelling

From Zagreb to Plitvice you can take the bus. From Plitvice you can take the bus for Zadar, from Zadar you can get to Split and from Split you can get to Dubrovnik. Everything by bus. It's the chepest way of travelling in Croatia.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter travelling

Time tables from Zagreb:

http://www.akz.hr/

From and to Zadar:

www.liburnija-zadar.hr/kolodvor/index.php

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter travelling

I forgot

from and to Split

http://www.ak-split.hr/

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,785 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter travelling

there are trains between Zagreb and Split but you miss out Plitvice and there are no trains south of Split to Dubrovnik.

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
692 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winter travelling

Let's suppose that in January next year we will have equal snow like this year, so you might opt for bus for transportation (or train as well suggested). Plitvice lakes are closed for visitors in January due to the high level of water and flooding, but it's better you check writing directly to Plitvice NP at info@np-plitvicka-jezera.hr

Can't you move your trip for March instead? Otherwise, you are welcome to enjoy Zagreb and the mountain sports we have here during the winter time.

Re accomodation, you will be fine everywhere since it is very low season, just do some research on hotels.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winter travelling

Thanks for the info, I could probably visit in late Feb early March, this sounds as though it may be a better option,do you have any suggestions as to how long I would need in each place, my main interests are history, art and architecture. Cheers nette0

sydney australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: winter travelling

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful Cheers nette0

8. Re: winter travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 06:17