We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

Another "so much to do ... not enough time" posts, so I will apologize for that in advance! I booked my ticket last night flying into Dubrovnik on May 21st and flying back from Zagreb on June 1st. I've been studying this forum and guidebooks for the past few weeks since the idea of the trip took shape, and here's a rough draft of an itinerary that needs some fine tuning, so I'd appreciate some suggestions, please.

May 21 - land at DBV ~ 3:30 PM - recover and watch my first sunset over the Adriatic.

May 22 - Explore Dubrovnik

May 23 - I've been tossing around the idea of a day trip to Mljet as the idea of a lake on a island, with an island on it sounds so neat. Another idea was a day trip to Montenegro. Thoughts?

May 24 - The day in Dubrovnik, then take the 3 PM bus to Korcula

May 25 - Korcula ... maybe rent a bike and explore parts of the island OR... instead of Korcula, head to Mostar and spend the night, then take the bus the next day to Split / ferry to Hvar for the night?

May 26 - 6 AM ferry to Hvar and spend the day exploring [or if it was Mostar the day before, then this is a travel AM with the night in Hvar]

May 27 - Hvar, go back to Split

May 28 - Split / Trogir

May 29 - Split / travel to Plitvice

May 30 - Plitvice

May 31 - AM travel to Zagreb

Jun 1 - fly out mid-afternoon

I prefer being around nature and the outdoors, but also enjoy getting to know the history of a place / town city. This is my first trip to this region. I'm not much of a beach person, in that I can't just sit for hours sunbathing; I prefer being more active, which also plays into the moving around. In the US, I have been to several national parks, and enjoyed them all, which is why even though Plitvice is a bit out of the way, and I haven't figured out quite how the buses will work, I'd like to get there and spend a full day, and my Mljet is on the list as well. I'm undecided about the islands, and have been going through the posts here on each one to figure out what I would prefer - a thought was to add Mostar as it sounds like a unique location - to the itinerary in place of Korcula, or try to fit in Brac as well as Hvar and Korcula... and may just leave the decision to when I get there.

I still have some researching to do and some looking at accommodations, but I'd appreciate any feedback from the forum!

Thanks in advance :)

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
50,358 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

Lots to ponder. If I had only one night in Korcula I would probably skip it and spend the night instead in Mostar. It is a very unique place and I think you would enjoy it. I think it would also be better to take a day trip to Hvar instead of thinking of spending a night there. It just seems too hectic to get there, stay there and then just turn around the next day. Makes more sense to me just to take a day trip. I am not a big fan of staying just one night in one place since it takes part of the day to get there and by the time you know it the day is already over.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Fine-tuning: it sounds like you are considering Dubrovnik-Korcula-Mostar-Split-Hvar before doubling back to Split - did I read that right? If so, have you considered instead doing Dubrovnik-Mostar-Korcula-Hvar-Split? I think you can but the buses may depend on the day. Consider checking with the Korkyra travel agency in Korcula about getting to Korcula as well (either from Dubrovnik or Mostar). They run shuttle services from Dubrovnik during the week that may be faster and leave earlier than that 3PM Dubrovnik bus. Not sure what if any service they might have to Mostar, but you can always ask.

I guess I'd consider Krka National Park near Sibenik if you like natural areas and shave a night from somewhere else - I got only to Plitvice but hear good things here about Krka as well, and it's on your route, basically, though I don't know how it is getting to the park via public transit from Split.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

I guess I was thinking Dubrovnik - Korcula - Hvar - Split OR Dubrovnik - Mostar - Hvar - Split. Not sure that I can do both with the ferry and bus timings. Thanks for the ideas! Between Mostar and Montenegro what would people here choose? And I hate to ask, but between Brac and Hvar, what would you choose?

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

I would leave Mostar and Nontenegro for another time.

And maybe going to Plitvice visit Zadar also.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

Thank you for all the comments. I have been back for a few months now, and wanted to take a couple of minutes to post a synopsis of my trip. A warning, you will need to take a breath somewhere along the way, as I ended up covering a lot of ground.

Friday PM arrival in DBV.

Saturday all day in Dubrovnik; walked to the beach, walked the walls towards the end of the day, when most of the day trippers had left.

Sunday - took a day trip to Montenegro. The Bay of Kotor and the area around it is gorgeous. As with most guided tours, I don't care for the pace. I wish we had more time in Kotor, but we got there when everyone else got there, and we only had 30 minutes to walk around and a 30-minute guided tour. Not enough time. Next was Budva, but I would have preferred more time in Kotor.

Monday - I wanted to leave for Korcula this morning, but wih no AM options, and the ferries not running on the frequent schedule, I made a deal with a tour group and hitched a ride with them to Korcula - they were doing a day trip with a wine stop. My ride was only a few kunas more expensive than a bus ticket and I got there when I wanted to. Again, disappointed in the tour, as we wasted an hour picking people up around dubrovnik, and then were delayed at Ston, so no time to wander there, and nearly missed the ferry. Korcula was fun and relaxing.

Tuesday - 6 AM ferry to Hvar. Spent the morning making my way to the public beach and hanging out until it started filling up, at which point I walked to the other end- area by the resorts, and made my way to the fort. Note - the restaurant was not open and there was no water to be had up there. Make sure you have enough wiht you.

Wednesday - Hvar to Split via the catamaran. Spent the mornign wandering around split, and the early afternoon in Trogir. Took a ferry back, and wandered through the park. The evening on a promenade is fun.

Thursday - 6 AM bus to Mostar. Make sure you know what stop you are going to. I thought I did, but when the bus stopped at the "other" one that is not walkable, my only option was a 5-euro cab ride to my hotel. Mostar is eye opening, and definately a worthwhile detour. I loved my stay here, and wiht the early mornign bus, I arrived before the tour groups. It gets a little tiring to have items made in India shoved at you, but it really seems to be where east meets west. the remnants of the war are all around as well.

Friday - crazy travel day. I decided to take the bus to Zagreb. All day on the bus, with the driver making all kinds of random stops. Bosnia is a beautiful country, and I look forward to doing it justice on a future trip. I couldn't get over hte blue-green water of all the rivers and lakes that we passed. Got to Zagreb, but for some strange reason, decided to keep going to Ljubljana that night by train.

Saturday - Ljubljana & Lake Bled. Yes, took the bus up to Bled. The international rowing championship was ongoing, which was fun to watch. It was a cold and blah day, but I did climb up to the castle. Didn't go to the island and ring any bells, but the desert is fabulous. It's a nice holiday town, which is better enjoyed on a sunny day! Got back to Ljubljana when it started to pour, but decided to enjoy the streets regardless, and had them to myslef for a couple of hours. it did finally stop raining and the night crowd came out. the castle at ljubljana is open pretty late, and is great public space.

Sunday - back to Zagreb, this time to stay. wandered around the streets for the most part, following hte walks on the city brochures.

Monday - was supposed to go to Plitvice, but it was pouring down rain. :( Bummer. But I met a couple of great people on a local walk celebrating the day of the city of zagreb, and watched a couple of movies and caught my breath from a week's worth of non-stop traveling.

Tuesday - morning coffee, and then on to the airport for my flight home after a really great trip.

I will be back with my hotel and restaurant listings shortly :)

www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx…

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

great report sjk

I fully agree with you about Kotor,way better than Budva but the organised trips seem to spend much more time in Budva than Kotor which is a pity

7. Re: 10 Days - Dubrovnik to Zagreb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 05:15