We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

Me and my wife are making plans to make that tour in just couple of days. We are not interested in trendy places. (We already seen whole Istria and north Adriatic Islands, most of continental Croatia. My wife is vivid reader of everything history...

Our plan is to start at SENJ and visit to NEHAJ tower

than stop in NIN and ZADAR

stop in SIBENIK and visit to KNIN

back on the coast and visit to TROGIR

main site should be SOLIN (SALONA) and SPLIT (Archeology Museum is great) with short visit to KLIS

than little "regular tourism" along the coast to DUBROVNIK

From Dubrovnik, we will go to METKOVIC in Bosnia and visit SV.VID (NARONA) - beautiful new museum

than POCITELJ and visit to STOLAC (Radimlja's necropolis of Medieval tombstones - STECAK)

Than back to Neretva river and BLAGAJ - beautiful spring of river Buna and Blagaj Castle.

Back to MOSTAR. From Mostar along the river Neretva to Jablanica and great rosted lamb meat... Final stop of that part will be SARAJEVO with National Museum visit and all other history sights...

From Sarajevo we go to VISOKO and visit to ruins of MILE, medieval heart of Bosnian Kingdom and King Tvrtko's grave.

After that visit to KRALJEVA SUTJESKA (incredible library) and ruins of castle BOBOVAC paying respect to last Bosnian Queen Katarina and her sad story...

Short stop in my birthplace and short visit to VRANDUK castle.

Back on track to visit VITEZ and TRAVNIK (capitol of Bosnian province in Ottoman Empire) and Nobel price winer's birthplace - Ivo Andric.

From Travnik cool trip to JAJCE with all of that history (and lot of personal friends of mine)

From Jajce, we go back to Bugojno, Kupres and Livno.

From Livno, we go to TRILJ and SINJ.

Along Perucko Lake back to Knin and return to continental Croatia with "touristy" stop in PLITVICE LAKES.

That's the best I can make in about 6-7 days. I know, we are going to miss a lot of castles and museums. But, this is "Croatian/Bosnian Kingdom Tour 101".

Any comments?

Edited: 10 April 2010, 02:26
Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

Great, but I cannot imagine it to made in 6-7 days only. Not sure how are the roads in Bosnia,surely you cannot progress quickly.

Have you considered the old road from Senj up to Lika, Gospić, Otočac and Knin? I do it sometimes when I have time enough on my way from Rijeka to Split and I like it very much, nice landscapes, with churches and castles ruins on tops of the hills.

As you are interested in history, you should avoid highway as much as possible.

Sretan put!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
715 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

Hi Tvrtko, as Jelsa said your program is great BUT it is not possible that you do this in such a short time period, and if you do so much driving, that means that you will miss to enjoy the spots you are visiting. Most sincerely I would suggest at least 10 days if you are planning to complete your program.

As to Croatian kings, I would say Sibenik is the most important city as well as Knin. Stecak area is also around Trilj. Once in Sibenik pity to miss National Park Krka and the visit to Visovac Island there. I hope you enjoy your tour and thanks for sharing it with us.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

Yes, that was my concern, also. 6-7 days is just too short. That's why we are focusing on the main things. I know the roads and places. So, I can cut off many unnecessary wanderings around. I will avoid pay roads as much, as I can. Because, it's too much money and one cannot see the thing.

Day 1

Senj (museum and Nehaj castle), Nin (center and small church outside), Zadar (old city and museum) and the night in Knin (I have family member there)

Day 2

Knin (castle), Sibenik (cathedral and possible museum), Trogir (old city)

Day 3

Solin (Salona) and Split (palace and museums) and my favorite - evening on Riva - sleeping in some place south of Split, possible Omis

Day 4

Dubrovnik (sleeping in Dubrovnik or back to Metkovic, depend what I can arrange with my friends there)

Day 4

Narona, Stolac, Mostar, arrival in Sarajevo

Day 5

Sarajevo, Visoko, Kraljeva Sutjeska, Bobovac, night in Zenica

Day 6

Travnik, Jajce (night in Jajce)

Day 7

Trip back to Croatia with couple of short stops along the way.

All together about 1000 km. Remember, I was born there and lived for 40 years there. I don't waste my time searching for a hotels, restaurants and other. I go stright to the place and get most important details....

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

Doable!

Just stop in Skradin when traveling from Knin to Sibenik. Another important spot of our national history

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

I started trip report here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k368…

So, keep reading there. Thanks.

6. Re: Bosnian and Croatian kingdoms and kings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 07:24